Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Beaten By O's

25 July 2015

U's suffer 3-0 defeat at WHCS.

The U's have been beaten for the first time in pre-season, losing 3-0 to Leyton Orient. 

The first half saw both sides trade chances, but it was the visitors who opened the scoring.

Former U's full back Sean Clohessy provided the cross and Paul McCallum climbed highest at the far post to head home.

The visitors extended their lead within two minutes of the restart, with McCallum finding the net with another header, from another right wing cross. 
Sub Scott Kashket made it three on seventy six minutes, slotting low past Sam Walker, who was making his first appearance of pre-season after injury.

The game started with the visitors having the better of the possession but whenever the U’s got forward, they looked dangerous.

Their first effort came on nine minutes, when good play on the right saw Dion Sembie-Ferris release Sammie Szmodics but his angled shot was blocked for a corner.

George Moncur then had another effort blocked, after more good U’s build-up play.

Decent chances were exchanged on seventeen minutes, with Baudry getting a header in front of Elliot Parish that went narrowly wide, before Richard Brindley shot over from just outside the box.
A minute late, Dion Sembie-Ferris got in behind the O’s defence but was thwarted by a good low save from Woods.

At the other end, former U’s full back Sean Clohessy put in a deep cross and McCallum jumped highest but couldn’t keep his header on target.

On twenty five minutes, more patient play saw the U’s move the ball well but Moncur’s effort was straight at Woods.

The U’s continued to press and a speculative Brindley shot, if he meant it as a shot from his position wide on the right, rebounded off the woodwork.

On the half hour, the O’s had their best chance of the half, with Elliot Parich having to tip over a header from Jay Simpson.

Despite the U’s chances, it was the O’s who opened the scoring, with McCallum’s far post header from a Sean Clohessy cross in the thirty first minute..

It should have been two for the visitors eight minutes later but Simpson, in far too much space ten yards out, got his header all wrong from a wide free kick.

Just before half time, Tosin Olufemi replaced Bindley after the U’s defender suffered a cut under his right eye.

The half time whistle went seconds later, with the U’s trailing to that McCallum header.

They doubled that lead within two minutes of the restart, with McCallum scoring again with his header.

Clohessy was involved on the right again, back-heeling the ball into the path of Pritchard, who delivered the cross for his centre forward to head into the far corner.

Another header almost made it three for the visitors on fifty three minutes, but the crossbar came to the U’s rescue, after Baudry got his head to a Dean Cox corner.

A Lapslie mistake then let in the O’s but Parish was out sharply to get to the through ball before Simpson.

On the hour, Humes made four changes, bringing on Alex Wynter, Alex Gilbey, Gavin Massey and Joe Edwards.

Eastman, Sembie-Ferris, Szmodics and Lapslie gave way for the hosts, as they looked for a way back into the game.

But it was the O’s who had the next effort, Cox’s spectacular volley coming back off the crossbar after an equally good crossfield pass from Moore.

On seventy minutes, three more U’s changes came, with Chris Porter, dan Holman and sam Walker replacing Bonne, Wright and Parish.

Another substitution came three minutes later, with Kane Vincent-Young replacing Matt Briggs.

Gavin Massey had a late shot deflected away for a corner but the final whistle went with the U's suffering their first pre-season defeat.

It was an Orient sub that had the biggest impact next though, with Scott Kashket running through and slotting a low shot past Walker to make it 3-0 to the O’s.

Advertisement block