Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Fight Back For Win

28 July 2015

Late double sees U's win 3-2 in latest friendly.

The U's have beaten Ipswich Town 3-2 in their latest friendly.

Both sides had chances to score first half goals, but it was with almost the last kick of the half that the visitors opened the scoring.

Freddie Sears and Darren Ambrose created the opening on the left, with Kevin Bru rifling home from short range from the low cross.

It was all square just after the break, with Alex Gilbey slotting home after good work from fellow midfielder George Moncur.

Town regained their lead through a David McGoldrick penalty, after Alex Wynter was harshly adjudged to have handled a fierce shot.

Massey then scored a last minute winner, heading home at the far post after Jack Curtis had a shot deflected to the far post. 

Gilbey got a second equaliser on eighty four minutes, striking a shot past Gerken from just outside the penalty area.

The game started with both teams feeling their way in and there wasn’t an effort on goal until the fifth minute, when Brett Pitman headed tamely over the U’s crossbar.

It was the visitors who first tested the opposition keeper as well, with Kevin Bru’s long range shot safely taken by Elliot Parish.

Pitman had a second effort on fifteen minutes, but was well wide with his shot from twenty five yards out.

Ipswich came closer on twenty minutes, Parish making a smart reaction save from former U’s striker Freddie Sears before Jonny Parr put the rebound into the side netting.

That chance spurred the U’s into attacking action, with George Moncur and Chris Porter getting opportunities.

Moncur ran through but couldn’t find the net with a twenty yard shot and then Porter was denied by Dean Gerken in the Ipswich goal. 

On twenty eight minutes, Porter had another chance but couldn’t quite get the contact he needed from an angle after Gerken had parried Moncur’s shot.

From a corner three minutes later, Tommy Smith won a header from a corner but Sears could only head over as he reacted quickest to the second ball.

Another Ipswich header cleared the U’s crossbar on the thirty sixth minute, with Pitman failing to test Parish.

Just before the break, the U’s regained possession through Joe Edwards and George Moncur but Drey Wright shot over after getting to the loose ball first.

On half time, the visitors went ahead, with Kevin Bru rifling his close range shot home after good work from Sears and Ambrose.

The U’s were almost back on level terms just after the break, with Alex Gilbey’s shot saved by Gerken, who recovered well to snatch the rebound before Porter could pounce.
They only had to wait until the fifty second minute to equalise though, as Gilbey slotted home low after a positive run from Moncur had Ipswich on the back foot.

Immediately after the goal, U’s boss Tony Humes made his first change with Dion Sembie-Ferris replacing Drey Wright.

Neither keeper was tested in the following fifteen minutes and the next half chance flew wide  when Ambrose’s snap shot from distance went tamely wide of the U’s upright.

On sixty four minutes, David McGoldrick regained Ipswich’s lead from the penalty spot, after Alex Wynter was harshly adjudged to have handled a shot just inside the box.

Sam Walker made his second appearance of pre-season in the sixty eighth minute, continuing his recovery from a knee injury suffered at the end of last season.

A good move freed up Ryan Fraser for the visitors but Daryl Murphy couldn’t direct a header on target at the far post.

Seventy seven minutes saw two more changes for the U’s, Jack Curtis and Frankie Kent replacing George Moncur and Tom Eastman.

A strong run from Teddy Bishop wasn’t matched by the shot at the end of it, as Walker made an easy save down to his left.

On eighty five minutes, Gilbey doubled his tally for the night with a second equaliser, striking home from just outside the box.

And the U’s got a winner a minute from time, Gavin Massey heading home at the far post after Jack Curtis’ shot was deflected high past Gerken.

Advertisement block