Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 13/02/2016

13 February 2016

Colchester United's wait for a win goes on, as Swindon made it another difficult Saturday afternoon for the U's.

Once again, the home side had chances of their own to get a stranglehold on the match but, after a combination of good goalkeeping and missed chances, the visitors got their noses in front.

Things were taken away from the U's by a quick fire double at the start of the second half and, despite a great first goal from the club by Joe Edwards, the Robins added a fourth to make it a tough day in the office.

The U's shaped up in a 4-4-2 formation on Saturday afternoon and, in the early stages, were well organised to prevent a possession hungry Swindon side from seeing too many sights of goal.

Having seen out the first quarter of the game without too many problems, the U's began to grow into the match.

Nicky Shorey, making his U's debut, sent over a cross for Chris Porter, who forced a good save out of Vigouroux in the Swindon goal.

The Liverpool loanee was to go on and have a big influence in the game, and saved well from Moncur, before turning away a low cross from the impressive Elliott Lee.

Missed opportunities came back to haunt the U's again, when Swindon took the lead ten minutes before half time.

Twice the U's won the ball with good tackles in midfield, only for it to break to a Swindon man. 

On the third occasion it fell to a Swindon player, a long cross into the box found Ajose in a dangerous position and he finished with a calmness that he is well known for.

And yet, the U's could have gone into half time all square. Lee drove past his full back once again and set up Porter eight yards out, but he was unable to beat Vigouroux from close range.

One down at the break, a good interchange by Moncur and Lee almost got the latter in on goal, but the Robins were able to clear.

Two minutes later, the visitors made it two as Turnbull darted down the left and set it back for Ajose to finish assuredly past Parish.

And a further two minutes later, it was three as Doughty was allowed to turn on the edge of the box and he fired into the top corner.

With the visitors in a strong position, boss Kevin Keen made three changes together shortly after that third goal.

Garvan, Wright and Bonne were introduced for Ambrose, Massey and Porter and they had an instant impression.

First Garvan forced a fine stop out of Vigouroux, before Wright's cross eventually fell to Edwards on the edge of the box for him to lash home a fine shot.

It gave the U's an inkling of hope, but Parish had to save from Brophy shortly after that goal to keep the U's in touch. 

With eighteen minutes to go, though, the visitors extended their advantage back to three.

Doughty again found time to turn and his low effort to Parish's left made it 4-1.

With time running out, the U's kept going to the end, as they sought to find an unlikely route back into the match.

First Lee drove at his man before flashing a shot just wide, before the Swindon keeper again reacted well to a cross that looked like it might be creeping in at the far post.

In injury time, the Frenchman summed up his day and the U's, as Edwards' shot was deflected and seemed destined for the bottom corner, but he sprung to his right to tip it around the post.

A frustrated set of players and supporters departed from WHCS on Saturday, knowing that another chance for three points had passed them by.

Advertisement block