Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 24/11/2015

24 November 2015

Colchester United's players left the pitch shell shocked on Tuesday night, as Crewe came from two goals down to take the points in the dying moments of the match.


A goal either side of half time looked to have put the U's in a strong position, but Ryan Lowe's lobbed effort gave the visitors a much needed three points and leave the U's players aghast at how the game had slipped from their grasp.  As the U's pressed with a high tempo throughout the first quarter of the game, J

he U's had most of the chances in the opening 25 minutes with Tom Lapslie and George Moncur both coming close whilst at the other end of the pitch Ryan Colclough skimmed the outside of the post with a long range effort that Jones appeared to have covered.  oe Edwards had a strong penalty claim denied by referee Christopher Sarginson after he was brought down in the box and moments after Jamie Jones made a fantastic double save to beat a long shot away from Billy Bingham and make himself big for Marcus Haber's follow up shot. 

Callum Harriott broke the deadlock in spectacular fashion with a scorching effort that dipped and swerved beyond Ben Garrett in the Crewe goal and clipped the underside of the bar on its way in with 40 minutes gone on the clock.

The U's then got off to the perfect start to the second half after a Tom Eastman effort wasn’t properly cleared and George Moncur was on hand to double the lead two minutes after the restart.

With half an hour left, Crewe pulled one back when Haber managed to knock the ball down for Colclough who rifled the ball past Jones to make the score 2-1.

Gavin Massey almost restored the U'’s 2 goal cushion on 66 minutes but his effort went narrowly over the bar. 

Moments later, George Moncur picked the ball up on the halfway line and dazzled his way through 2 challenges but his effort was smothered by Garrett.

It was all square on 79 minutes after Crewe substitute Ryan Lowe beat his man on the right hand side and cut the ball back from the touchline to Haber who was waiting to slot the ball into an empty net. 
Lowe again was on hand to race through and lob the ball over the U's keeper with the last kick of the game to make the final score 3-2 to the visitors and increase the U's woes.

The Crewe comeback was completed with the last kick of the game as a long clearance left Jones in two minds about how far to come. 

Advertisement block