Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U21s Beat Barnsley

30 March 2015

A goal in each half enough to see off the Tykes.

Despite a fast paced start to the game, there wasn’t too much in the way of clear cut chances in the opening exchanges.

And there were a number of positive displays in the match as the U's youngsters pressed for an inclusion in the first team squad over the Easter double header.

It got John McGreal's men back to winning ways, as Byron Lawrence and Dion Sembie-Ferris grabbed the goals for the U's.

Colchester United U21s put in an impressive performance on Monday night as they recorded a 2-0 victory against Barnsley.

As the game reached the quarter hour mark, Matt Templeton had a great chance for the visitors as he got through one on one with James Bransgrove, but he stood tall to see off the first shot, with the follow up fired wide.

The U’s best chances of the first half arrived around the half hour mark, when first they had a shot turned away by Jack Walton in the Barnsley goal, before Kane Vincent-Young saw his low effort turned behind.

From the resulting set piece, Macauley Bonne acrobatically volleyed wide of the target with Walton helpless had it been on target.

Five minutes before half time, shortly after Templeton had had a shot from the edge of the box well saved, Vincent-Young embarked on another mazey run that ended with his shot being blocked on the edge of the Barnsley area.

The U’s got their noses in front three minutes before the break. A cross from Sembie-Ferris found Bonne in the middle and he nodded down for the awaiting Lawrence, who took a touch before drilling home into the bottom corner.

The home side led at the break, but Templeton went within inches of levelling with a whipped free kick that had Bransgrove beaten, but went over the bar.

The Tykes 11 was the visitors’ most dangerous player and dragged another shot wide on the hour mark as they pressed for their first goal of the match.

It was a strongly contested second half as both teams looked to gain a foothold in the match.

The U’s then made their first changes of the game as, on 69 minutes, Decarrey Sheriff replaced Macauley Bonne and, five minutes later, Kieran Bailey came off and Callum Harrison was introduced.

Chances had been at a premium in the second half but the U’s doubled their advantage on 75 minutes. 

Sembie-Ferris sprung forward from the halfway line and, getting to the edge of the box, cut onto his left foot and smashed his shot into the top corner.

The goalscorer made way four minutes later, with George Brown introduced on the wing for the home side.

The visitors almost found a way back into the game with five minutes to go. From a corner, Jeffs saw his header acrobatically cleared off the line by Lawrence, who also saw off the follow up shot.

That was the last of the action as the U's picked up a useful win.

The U’s almost added a third late on, with Vincent-Young driving forwards, but his left footed shot was tipped over the bar.

Advertisement block