Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Beaten At Wigan

17 October 2015

Damage done in first half in 5-0 defeat.

The U's have lost at Wigan Athletic on a disappointing away day in the north west.

Four goals without reply in the first half did the damage, with Daniels scoring twice and Grigg and Power making it a one sided forty five minutes. 

The U's stemmed the tide in the second period but the hosts were able to add another, Grigg lobbing Jones to put the icing on the cake.

The home side started the game looking determined to get forward at every opportunity and it didn’t take them long, four minutes in fact, to get in behind the U’s defence and open the scoring.

Yanic Wildschut beat Tosin Olufemi down the Wigan left and when his deflected cross was palmed out, Donervon Daniels was on hand to tap in from close range.

Wildschut should have extended the lead just four minutes later but a heavy touch allowed Jamie Jones to smother at the forward’s feet.

That lead was doubled on ten minutes though, as Max Power sized up a shot from distance. 
It took a wicked deflection just in front of him, looping the ball up and over Jones and into the back of the net.

It went from bad to worse when the Latics scored their fourth goal with just thirteen minutes on the clock.

A corner was overhit and Joe Edwards lost a battle on the touchline before the ball was pulled back for Daniels to shoot low for his second and Wigan’s third.

The U’s were somewhat shell shocked but slowly started to get forward a bit more as the half progressed.

Callum Harriott was trying his best to get his side a goal and had three efforts at goal, missing the target with two and giving Jaaskelainen catching practice with the third.

With thirty two minutes remaining, the U’s found themselves even further behind, as Will Grigg made it 4-0.

A throw in found its way to former U’s midfielder David Perkins, he played a one-two before pulling it back to Grigg, who  sidefooted his effort into the bottom corner.

And the home side finished the half on top, creating two more chances to extend the lead even more.

A low cross evaded everybody as it flew across the six yard box and then Jacobs tried an ambitious overhead kick that Jones saved.

The half time whistle went with the home crowd rightfully applauding their team off after a scintillating forty five minutes.

It was no surprise that Wigan weren’t too worried about a slower tempo to the start of the second half but the U’s were stemming the chances the hosts could create.

Unfortunately, they weren’t creating enough chances of their own to make a game of it, with neither keeper really tested in the early stages of the second period.

Darren Ambrose and George Moncur were introduced for Dion Sembie-Ferris and Chris Porter on sixty four minutes, with Tom Lapslie adding to the mix not long after at the expense of Joe Edwards.

The young midfielder’s first involvement almost resulted in a goal, with Holt latching onto Lapslie’s slip before shooting wide when he really should have scored a fifth.

Wigan did make it five four minutes from the end, with Irish international Will Grigg superbly lobbing Jones after being put through by Love.

It was an afternoon that the U’s would want to forget, and will have an early chance to put things right as they host Port Vale at the Weston Homes Community Stadium on Tuesday night.

Advertisement block