Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Young U's Go Top

7 September 2015

U21s beat Crewe 3-0 at WHCS.

The U's U21s made it four wins in a row to go top of the table, as they beat Crewe 3-0 at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

A first half tap-in from Jack Curtis didn't reflect the young U's dominance, with the majority of goal action coming in the Crewe penalty area.

Tom Lapslie and Jamie Harney added further goals in the second period and the 3-0 final scoreline was certainly the least the U's deserved.

The game started with the young U's having the better of the possession and getting forward on numerous occasions in the early stages.

Chris Regis had a shot saved in the sixth minute after a clever short corner saw him get onto the end of a Louis Dunne pull back.

Dunne was again involved from a set piece three minutes later, as his corner found Tom Lapslie who couldn't find a way through a packed area with a powerful effort.

Dion Sembie-Ferris got in the act on ten minutes, racing down the right before drilling his shot across the keeper and narrowly wide of the far post.

Drey Wright and Regis then had shots blocked, as the U’s continued to ask all the questions against a young looking Crewe side.

A great move in the eighteenth minute ended with Wright getting past his man with a burst of pace and a great touch, but his shot flew over from ten yards out.

Dunne found himself in space at the far post from a Sembie-Ferris corner but was denied by a smart low save from Richards in the Crewe goal.

The U's pressure told on thirty four minutes though, with Jack Curtis tapping into an empty net.

Lapslie had found Dunne with a great ball into the left channel and the sixteen year old's shot was palmed out straight to Curtis to make it 1-0.

Sembie-Ferris went on a run down the left on thirty nine minutes but repeated his shot across the keeper, again missing the far post by inches.

There was no further scoring in the first half and the U's were certainly good value for their lead.

In fact, it could and maybe should have been more than a one goal advantage with the dominance the youngsters enjoyed for forty-five minutes.

Crewe made all three substitutions at the break, but the U's started the second half in control again, with Regis testing the keeper early after linking up well with Sembie-Ferris.

Regis had another shot saved ten minutes into the half, this time doing all the work himself after regaining possession forty yards out.

Charley Edge replaced Louis Dunne on the hour, just after Dillon Barnes had made his first save of the game.

After Sembie-Ferris shot wide, the U's should have doubled their lead but Regis somehow hit his shot over after Edge had found him with a low cross from the left.

It was 2-0 on seventy two minutes though, Tom Lapslie scoring with a drilled shot from just outside the box.

The midfielder had started the move with a pass forward and continued his run to get on the end of a Regis pass to strike home into the bottom corner.

Tariq Issa came on for Drey Wright a minute later, and the U's added a third not long afterwards.

It was fellow substitute Charley Edge who was provider, as his cross was met by Jamie Harney with a powerful header that beat Richards low to his left in the eighty second minute.

Byron Lawrence made a late appearance for Jack Curtis but there was no further goal action before the referee blew the final whistle.

The win was the young U's fourth in succession and sent them top of the table. 

The U's take on Gillingham in their next home game - buy your tickets now at the Saver rate!

Advertisement block