Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 13/08/2016

13 August 2016

It was a lively start to the game without too many clear cut chances for either side.

They had their scares with Joe Pigott and former Col U youngster Medy Elito both going close but, in the main, the U's were largely in charge on a sunny afternoon. 

They built on their point at Hartlepool with a really assured performance to collect three points and a clean sheet in front of a vibrant support, thanks to goals from Brennan Dickenson and Denny Johnstone. 
Colchester United got their home games off to a winning start, as they picked up a comfortable win against Cambridge United on Saturday. 

But the U’s got their noses in front after just eight minutes. Cambridge keeper Will Norris miscued his clearance and Chris Porter picked it up just inside the visitor’s half.

He laid it to Szmodics, who in turn laid it to Dickenson, who smashed a superb effort low into the corner beyond the keeper.

One nearly became two as the U’s moved the ball through the middle third quickly. The ball ended up at the feet of Szmodics, who curled in a fine effort to force a great save out of Norris.

The U’s were on top at this point, and it was a frenetic fifteen minutes before the visitors who got their first chance.

The ball fell to Pigott, who wriggled free in the box and struck a low side footed shot that forced a great save out of Walker.

The U’s were full of energy and Szmodics got himself clear of Legge but fell in the box, but the referee quickly waved away the forward’s protests.

Next, Wright got to the byline to force a corner from Cambridge, as the home side went in search of a second.

Prosser was next to get a sight of goal, getting up highest at a corner, but he was under just enough pressure to ease him off the ball.

The U’s had had a good first half an hour, pressing the ball well and getting it into dangerous areas.

Such was their first half display that Shaun Derry made a change five minutes before the break as Roberts replaced Dallison.

The substitute was in the right place at the right time on the stroke of half time, as he dived to block Szmodics’ goalbound effort.

Dickenson had the first chance of the second half as the U’s looked to extend their advantage, but dragged his effort wide of the upright.

The visitors were bound to lift their game after a half time talking to, though, and were more fired up after the interval.

The U’s came close first though, with Porter’s driving run and low cross turned just past his own post by Legge.

They went even closer as Porter was on the end of a Wright cross, the ball glancing his forehead as he tried to double the U’s advantage.

The game was still in the balance at 1-0 though, as a cross from the right found Elito in the middle and his header grazed the top of the bar.

The U’s came straight back at their opponents, as first Porter forced a good full length save out of Norris before Eastman’s header lacked power to beat the Cambridge keeper.

The home side introduced Doug Loft for Szmodics midway through the half to try and retain their hold on the game.

And Denny Johnstone followed with nineteen minutes to go as the U’s kept pushing on.

The Scotsman fired wide not long after his introduction after good persistence from Dickenson on the edge of the box.

He then combined with Guthrie, but couldn’t get his shot away from a central position as the clock ran down.

But he got the goal his efforts – and those of the U’s – deserved, eight minutes from time. More good approach play got Dickenson in down the left and his cross was powered home by the head of Johnstone.

Taylor headed wide for the visitors as the clock ran down, but in truth the U’s were not seriously tested across the ninety minutes.

The test now is to build on that performance and take it into the next home match v Grimsby on Tuesday night.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account