Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 16/08/2016

16 August 2016

Match Reports

Match Report : 16/08/2016

16 August 2016

Colchester United's great start to the campaign continued on Tuesday night as they moved up to second in the league after a 3-2 win over newly promoted Grimsby. 

The U's enjoyed a blistering start to the first half, as two goals from Brennan Dickenson either side of a Kurtis Guthrie strike set Col U on route to a superb win. 

Grimsby pulled two goals back after half time through Craig Disley and Omar Bogle but Colchester held on for the victory in a result that was more comfortable than the final scoreline suggested. 

The U's also hit the woodwork three times in a fluent display that means back to back wins at home.

In truth, it was Grimsby that started the better and should have been ahead. 

Luke Summerfield was left free in the box but his header only hit the side netting, the Grimsby fans thought it had gone in, much to the amusement of the U's supporters.

From thereon in, it was all Colchester and it could have been a lot worse for Grimsby at half time. 

First Luke Prosser hit the bar from a free kick on the right, but Colchester didn’t have to wait long before they found the all important first goal. 

After a series of corners, Brennan Dickenson got his first goal of the game and second in Col U colours as he met the ball on the penalty spot to score after Prosser had headed the ball across.

The chances were coming quick and fast for Colchester after the opener and just two minutes later, Dickenson struck the base of the post from close range after he met the cross from Drey Wright. Dickenson will be disappointed he missed but would redeem himself later in the half.

It was then the turn of Grimsby to remind the host that they were still a threat in the game. 

Ashley Chambers cut in from the left but his right footed strike dipped just wide of Sam Walker's left post.

It was clear that Colchester had to grab the second goal of the game to give themselves a platform to build on and they found it 33 minutes in. After build up on the right, the ball dropped to Guthrie on edge of the box and he struck the ball past James McKeown to make it 2-0.

And Colchester didnt have to wait long to make it 3-0. 

Dickenson grabbed his second of the game from a brilliant team goal. Drey Wright received the ball in the area after neat play between Sammie Szmodics and Chris Porter. His low cross was met by Dickenson to slot away the third, a lead the U's were to take into the break.

The second half started as frantically as the first half ended and Grimsby got a goal back in the game almost straight away.   

Grimsby made a change at half time and it took Craig Disley just three minutes to score with a well placed header.

This goal seemed to unsettle the Colchester players and fans. 

Grimsby were then denied a big shout for a penalty as Omar Bogle was grounded after some close attention by Luke Prosser. Then Kayden Jackson burst into the box for Grimsby but Sam Walker made a good save with his feet to deny him.

After that, the U's managed the next half an hour in professional fashion. 

Porter forced James McKeown into a smart save before Dickenson almost grabbed his hat-trick when his cross almost made the keeper look silly.

The game slowed after this as Colchester looked to see out the game. They managed to limit the chances that Grimsby were creating, although Jackson should perhaps have scored a second for Grimsby as he beat the offside tap but his volley went wide.

It was another superb display from Dickenson and he came close to his third as the game reached the final ten minutes, his free kick looked to be going into the top right corner of the net but just went over.

Just when Colchester thought they had seen out the rest of the game, Grimsby got a second goal back to make for a very nervy couple of minutes for Colchester. 

Bogle dipped his shoulder in the edge of the box to make half a yard then rifled the ball goalwards, Walker could only get a hand to the ball and it nestled in the back of the net to make it 3-2.

The action wasn’t finished there either, substitute Craig Slater nearly added a fourth for Colchester with the final chance of the game but his superb effort with the outside of his foot came back off the post and away to safety.

It finished 3-2 and now Col U turn their preparations to Saturday’s game away at Portsmouth. 

The referee then brought an end to proceedings and Colchester had done enough to see out the game. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account