Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Beaten At Bury

20 February 2016

Red card costs U's at Gigg Lane.

Ten man Colchester United have lost 5-2 at Bury to continue the U's away day troubles.

It was 2-0 to the U's when Tom Eastman received his marching orders and the tide turned from there. 

The game at Gigg Lane was only three minutes old when Chris Porter opened the scoring, before Gavin Massey doubled the lead on seventeen minutes.

Just after the half hour mark, Tom Eastman received a second yellow card, and a subsequent red, with Ryan Lowe heading home from the resultant free kick.

A Bury blitz at the start of the second half saw the game turn on its head, with the home side scoring three in ten minutes.

They added another on sixty one minutes to make it 5-2 and miserable afternoon in the North West for the U's. 

The game started with the U’s looking to get forward at every opportunity and it only took them three minutes to breach the home defence.

Kane Vincent-Young beat his opponent to the ball just inside the U’s half and played Gavin Massey in down the right.

Massey made strides before pulling the ball back for Chris Porter, who guided his shot in via the hands of keeper Ian Lawlor.

Porter was on the end of an Owen Garvan pass two minutes later but his left foot effort was deflected wide.

It was all U’s in the early stages and Macauley Bonne drilled a shot over the bar after stretching to get the ball under control twenty five yards out.

Bonne was unlucky not to get enough contact at the near post on thirteen minutes, after Massey had once again got free and clear down the U’s right.

A mix up between Leon Clarke and Ryan Lowe prevented the hosts getting a shot away and it proved costly when the U’s went 2-0 up seconds later.

Chris Porter nipped in to win the ball and then it was a race between him and Massey to get to the ball first.

Massey won and although is first effort was saved, the U’s forward reacted well to score and double the U’s lead.

Frankie Kent was then denied by a great diving save from Lawlor as the U’s continued to push forward and put Bury under pressure.

The first real chance for the Shakers didn’t come until the thirty first minute, when Elliott Parish got across his line quickly to take a Jones header into his midriff.

A minute later and the turning point came – Tom Eastman received his second yellow and subsequent red for a second foul on Leon Clarke.

There was immediate additional punishment as Ryan Lowe headed home from the resultant free kick.

The ten men finished the half well though, with Macauley Bonne coming closest for either team when he beat the offside trap before shooting well wide.

At half time, the home boss David Flitcroft made three changes and they made an impact right from the off.

Kane Vincent-Young had already made a last ditch block before the scores were level on forty nine minutes.

A low cross from the left caused problems and Vincent-Young looked to get the last touch under pressure from Tutte and the ball rolled in past a helpless Parish.

Tutte made sure of being on the scoresheet two minutes later, when he scored from an angle after breaking into the U’s penalty area.

On fifty five minutes, it was 4-2 to the hosts, with one of the substitutes directly involved.

A diagonal ball into the far post found Tom Pope and his clever header made it simple for Jones to head home from inside the six yard area.

And on sixty one minutes, it got even worse when Tutte scored with a shot from the edge of the box when the U’s cleared a corner.

Tutte was credited with the first goal of the half so this was a hat-trick for the Bury midfielder in what had been an extraordinary sixteen minute spell.

Owen Garvan and sub George Moncur both failed to test Lawlor with free kicks, as the U’s looked for a very unlikely path back into the game.

And the final chance of the match fell to young Jamie Harney, who could only find the gloves of Lawlor before the referee called a halt to proceedings.

Advertisement block