Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/03/2016

29 March 2016

The U's have won 1-0 at Coventry City to close the gap to safety to seven points. 

After dominating possession in the first quarter of an hour, they were rewarded on eighteen minutes when Gavin Massey slotted home after good work from Elliot Lee.

They comfortably saw off the Sky Blues in the second period and secured their second consecutive victory.

If there were nerves from either side with their positions in the League One table, it didn’t show in the very early minutes, with the game being open and end to end without the two keepers coming into play.

The first real bit of danger came at the home end, with Massey’s far post cross put over his own bar by Lorentzsen.

At the other end on fourteen minutes, former U’s loanee Jacob Murphy blazed over from distance with the Sky Blues first shot of the game.

On seventeen minutes, the U’s early territorial dominance was rewarded when Massey sidefooted home into the back of the net after good work on the left hand side.

There was a suspicion that Lee had overrun the ball as he got close to the goalline but there was no flag and the U’s celebrated the opener.

The goal against them spurred the hosts into action and Joe Cole and John Fleck had efforts at the U’s goal, the first wide and the second comfortably into the arms of Elliott Parish.

It could have been all square on the half hour mark but Tom Eastman came from nowhere to block a goalbound shot from Murphy, who was looking the most dangerous Coventry player.

Four minutes later, Alex Gilbey shot straight at Charles-Cook and then seconds later, Shorey showed great position to snuff out the danger as Cole looked to get a shot away.

A minute before half time, the hosts had a great chance to level things up, when a mix-up between Massey and Joe Edwards led to the former pushing Vincelot in the box to concede a spot kick.

Murphy put the ball down on the spot but Parish guessed correctly with a dive to his left and pushed the ball to safety.

Less than a minute later, the half time whistle went and the U’s were good value for their lead, but would have been grateful to Parish for preserving that advantage.

During the break, the U’s had to make a change, with Richard Brindley coming on for Edwards who had picked up a knock.

The hosts started the second half as they finished the first, putting the U’s under pressure from the first whistle.

Jones curled a left foot effort just past the post three minutes in, and then Frankie Kent had to put in a great block to prevent another shot on goal.

Fleck was next to try his luck but his long range effort went well over but the U’s keeper Parish was being well protected by his defence.

Tom Lapslie replaced Elliott Lee on sixty nine minutes, looking to protect the U’s defence and keeper from further out.

Having kept the hosts at arm’s length for that period of pressure, the U’s looked to gain in confidence as the half wore on.

Gilbey and Moncur worked hard to win the ball back and break forward, with the latter having a near post shot saved low by Charles-Cook.

Massey then shot narrowly wide and Gilbey was denied by a near post save from a tight angle.

The U’s young midfielder then had another effort blocked, as the U’s looked for a second to give themselves some breathing space.

They didn’t need any more breathing space, comfortably seeing out the remainder of the game to gain a second win over the Easter games.

Advertisement block