Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/11/2016

22 November 2016

The U's have won 3-0 at Cheltenham Town. 

Neither side could get past their opposing keeper in the first forty five minutes, with Tom Lapslie's early effort working Russell Griffiths the most.  

A fantastic second half performance saw goals from Craig Slater, Brennan Dickenson and Tom Eastman and those goals saw the U's end their winless run in emphatic fashion. 

The home side had the better of the possession in the very early stages but it was the U’s who had the first opening, coming on three minutes.

Tom Lapslie got a shot in that Griffiths saved and Kurtis Guthrie was denied a rebound effort by a good block.

Former U’s forward Dan Holman looked sharp up front for the hosts but was well wide with their first chance, trying his luck from thirty five yards out on seven minutes.

Holman’s fellow striker Danny Wright had a chance five minutes later, but headed wide under pressure from Elokobi.

The majority of the play in the following ten minutes was limited to the middle third of the pitch, before Elokobi was in the action at the other end.

Brennan Dickenson drifted a free kick from deep into the home area and the U’s centre half headed straight at Griffiths.

An identical header from Daniel O’Shaughnessy found the midriff of Sam Walker on twenety four minutes, before Wright again headed wide five minutes later.

The best U’s move of the half saw Frankie Kent, Owen Garvan and Richard Brindley involved, but Guthrie had strayed just offside as the near post cross came in.

Headed efforts straight at the keeper continued late in the half, as Guthrie couldn’t avoid Griffiths with his effort, before Pell drilled two shots over the bar in the two minutes of injury time.

On Saturday at Yeovil, the U’s came out of the traps on the front foot with a goal within a few minutes and that was repeated here, with Craig Slater netting.

Denny Johnstone and Guthrie combined going forward and after the initial attack broke down, the ball was put into the area but there was still plenty to do.

Slater showed excellent footwork  and drilled a shot low into the back of the net, giving Griffiths no chance to open the scoring.

Brindley and Johnstone then had efforts as the U’s continued to dominate the early stages of the half, and it was no surprise when they went further ahead on sixty five minutes.

Guthrie went down the left and a great run inside him by Dickenson was seen and having been played in behind the defence, the former Brighton man drilled his left foot shot low into the bottom corner to double the U’s lead.

Two turned into three within two minutes, when Tom Eastman headed home.

Brindley got forward again, his shot was deflected out for a corner and Owen Garvan provided an excellent assist for the big centre half to convert.

His whipped in left footer was hit with pinpoint precision and Eastman’s run to the near post was rewarded as he headed home, once again giving the home keeper no chance.

Any Robins supporters who were then expecting a reaction from their side were disappointed as the U’s defence protected their keeper Walker pretty comfortably.

McGreal made a first change on seventy nine minutes, bringing on Drey Wright for Denny Johnstone, and then Kane Vincent-Young for Brindley nine minutes later.

The task got even harder for the hosts when Pell was sent off after receiving a second yellow card on eighty nine minutes, as he dived looking for a penalty.

Walker’s first save of the half didn’t come until injury time, a near post stop from Koby Arthur’s angled shot.

The final whistle went seconds later, with the U’s ended their winless run in style ahead of the home game against Crewe at the weeken

Advertisement block