Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Make Cup Progress

29 November 2016

Six of the best for Brown's men.

Colchester United earned safe passage to the Quarter Finals of the Essex Senior Cup on Tuesday night, with a convincing 6-0 win over Witham Town.

The U's knew they would have to be on their mettle to avoid any upsets and, having put themselves three ahead within half an hour, went on to win the game with three further goals.

They were ahead after just ten seconds when Macauley Bonne charged down the ball and kept his calm to slot home past Soutar in the Witham goal.

The home side doubled their advantage on 17 minutes and it was Bonne on the mark once again as he earned some space on the edge of the box to smash home a fantastic effort beyond the keeper and into the far corner.

With the confidence of the first two goals behind them, the U's played some excellent football and got their third just before the half hour mark.

The ball was crossed to the far post where it was nodded down to Edge, and having hit the bar with a free kick not long before, he made no mistake this time to turn home the U's next goal.

The visitors then had their first spell of pressure but the U's defence protected Rhys Williams well.

And the U's took the game further away from Witham before half time as Dunne reacted quickest to a loose ball to stab home the fourth.

Witham came out for the second half hoping for an early goal to give themselves some hope in the match, but it was the U's who were to score next.

Josh Pollard stepped through the Witham defence with a confident run and when his low shot was parried by Soutar, Bonne reacted quickest to complete his hat-trick.

That concluded his evening as he was replaced by Decarrey Sheriff and the substitute made it six not long after his introduction.

The U's continued to press, with Dunne and Edge shooting just wide and Regis hitting the underside of the bar, but that was the end to the scoring.

The visitors sought a consolation as the clock ran down and Hayes went closest with a searing shot at 5-0, but it was not to be and the U's await their quarter final opponents.

Advertisement block