Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Win On Spot Kicks

8 November 2016

Promising display in final cup game.

Colchester United picked up two points in a game for the first time since 1981 as they won a penalty shoot-out against Charlton Athletic in their final group game on Tuesday night.

The game itself finished all square, but the U's emerged with the additional point as they won the shoot-out thanks to two spot kick saves from Dillon Barnes.

The U's now exit the competition, but will take plenty of confidence from their performance in this game, with a fluent second half display testing the Addicks' resolve.

They will also be pleased to have seen Frankie Kent (90 minutes), Tom Lapslie (60) and Brennan Dickenson (45) all return to action ahead of the weekend game v Leyton Orient.

The visitors had the better of the early exchanges without really testing Barnes, and it took until the half hour mark before the deadlock was broken.

The ball was whipped in from the Charlton left and Nicky Ajose was his usual predatory self as he slid home from close range.

However, the lead was to last just ten minutes as the U's responded well.

They crafted a good move which ended with Wright sending in a cross to the edge of the six yard box, which Bonne powered home with his head.

The U's were buoyed by that equaliser and finished the half strongly - and the half time interval was not to quell their positive play after the break.

They thought they might have a claim for a penalty just before the hour mark when Guthrie was manhandled in the box, but the referee had little interest.

A minute later they could have been ahead, as Kent found space at the far post, but could only stab it into the arms of Phillips.

In an eventful few minutes, Brindley swept over a series of dangerous crosses, and Guthrie should perhaps have done better when seizing on a defensive mistake on 63 minutes.

Phillips had impressed between the sticks for Charlton and made another smart stop to deny Slater's fizzing low shot as the clock began to run down on this game.

And Charlton almost grabbed the win late on as Hanlan headed inches wide in the final minute.

The game was to go straight to a penalty shoot-out. Guthrie, Bonne, Slater and Wright converted their spot-kicks and Barnes stood strong to save two of Charlton's five to ensure the U's came out on top.

Advertisement block