Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/10/2016

8 October 2016

Newport came to the Weston Homes Community stadium sitting bottom of the table but took a valuable point back to Wales. 

Colchester United and Newport County played out a goalless draw in what proved a very frustrating day for everyone associated with the U's.

The best chances of the game came the way of the hosts as Drey Wright hit the crossbar and Kurtis Guthrie hooked a chance agonisingly wide of the post, but the U's were unable to break down their resolute visitors. 

It took until the 15th minute for the game's first half chance, as Sammie Szmodics picked up the ball 25 yards out but his low shot was saved fairly comfortably by Joe Day. 

Newport's first half chance came not long after as Rhys Healey advanced into the box but his shot went wide of the Col U goal.

Two minutes later, Drey Wright produced a superb volley inside the box as he connected with a loose ball.

Day was equal to it though as he pushed it behind for a corner. 
Veteran striker Jon Parkin had Newport's best chance of the half as his half volley inside the area forced Sam Walker to tip over but other than that the visitors offered very little going forward.

Then came Wright's ambitious shot from range that clipped the top of the crossbar. The keeper looked to be struggling had the effort been on target, but Newport survived a rare first half chance.

The sides went into half time goalless and in truth, the second half to follow was a scrappy affair as the defences held strong in the second forty-five minutes. 

As the second half began, Kurtis Guthrie had a half chance as he got on the end of a Wright cross but the ball went inches wide. It was a difficult chance for the midfielder to convert as he tried to sort his feet out.

Newport had a great chance to take the lead on 52 minutes but centre back Darran Jones could only head wide at the back post. It was something of a let off for the U's as Jones was presented with a free header.

The passage of play that followed this chance was much like the first half, both midfields saw lots of the ball but the final ball was just lacking as the defensive lines rebuffed anything put their way.  

As the game approached the final 10 minutes, Tom Eastman produced some superb defending to prevent a Newport winner. He dived in front of Sean Rigg's shot from inside the area in what was a crucial block. 

The danger hadn’t been cleared however, and Jordan Green produced an excellent turn in the box but his shot flew over from the angle.

There was more trouble for the U's with just 3 minutes to go, but Marlon Jackson was unable to gain sufficient power and direction to his header and it was saved by Walker. 

This brought an end to the action as the final few moment were played out. 

Colchester are now on a run of four league games without a win but will look to end this run away at League Two high flyers Doncaster Rovers.

Advertisement block