Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 24/09/2016

24 September 2016

The result saw John McGreal's men slip to eighth in the table, but they remain only two points off the automatic spots as the League Two table starts to take shape. 

At 1-0 up, the U's looked like they might be heading for another home victory, but Stanley turned it around in the second half. 
Accrington Stanley produced a second half comeback to beat Colchester United 2-1 on Saturday, as the U's missed out on the chance to move up into the automatic spots. 
The first half produced few chances for both sides as both midfields saw lots of the play. That was perhaps unsurprising when one of the league best attacks came up against one of the league best defences. 

Colchester's first chance and probably their best other than the goal came after just four minutes. 

Sam Walker's long kick looked to be heading out for goal kick but Tarique Fosu managed to capitalise as the ball hit the corner flag. 

The on-loan winger drove towards the box and clever footwork meant he could shoot the angle but Matty Pearson was on hand to clear the ball off the line. This was a warning for Stanley but Colchester were able to find the first goal shortly after.

The U's took the lead with their second chance of the game as Wright produced an excellent strike from outside the area that left former U's keeper Elliott Parish with no chance. 

It was patient play from Colchester as they kept the ball at the back waiting for an opening, Luke Prosser then clipped a ball into the chest of Chris Porter and his lay off was perfect for Wright to control and shoot to make it 1-0 to the U's.

Accrington's first chance of the game came after a stoppage in play. A deep free kick was met by the head of Pearson for the visitors and Tom Eastman was forced to head over after Sam Walker could only parry the header into the air.

Accrington looked to be most dangerous from set pieces but Colchester's defence was on hand to clear any imminent danger. The first half seemed to slow as it went on and there were only a couple of half chances from that point, and they went the way of the hosts. 

Firstly, full back Richard Brindley was set up for a shot from 25 yards by Fosu but his shot dipped over the bar with Parish having it covered. 

Then, on the brink of half time, a free kick was flicked on by Kurtis Guthrie but went wide, as Colchester took that all important lead into the break.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first as both sides failed to create many clear cut chances. 

Colchester came out quicker but couldn’t turn any of their forward momentum into goal scoring chances, although Chris Porter had a half chance cutting in on his left foot which was comfortably saved.

On 57 minutes, Accrington punished the U's on the counter attack to draw level. 

A Colchester attack broke down midway inside Stanley's half and Boco picked up the loose ball. He then travelled half the length of the pitch unchallenged and his goal bound strike took the smallest of touches off the inside of Lewis Kinsella's leg and into the U's net to make it 1-1.

The turnaround was complete just 10 minutes after as Kee was in the right place at the right time to tap in from close range from Brown's low cross. 

John McGreal tried to change things by making substitutions, but they struggled to make the required impact as Colchester couldn’t break down a resolute Accrington defence.

As the game entered added on time, Colchester were given a glimmer of hope as Brown was dismissed for a second bookable offence, but with the visitors happy to sit in and crowd the area, Accrington were able to see out the game and leave with all three points.

Colchester now need to pick themselves up after their second defeat in three home games as they travel to Crawley Town on Tuesday night.

Advertisement block