Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/04/2017

8 April 2017

They are just two points off both six and seventh as a host of teams attempt to clinch a play-off spot. 

That was more than enough for them to protect in the second half and they are right in the thick of things with five games to go. 

They blew Stevenage away with a pulsating first forty five minutes, racing into a 4-0 lead within 40 minutes. 

Colchester United continue to hunt down the teams above them in the race for promotion, with their thirteenth home win of the season. Colchester started the half on the from foot and nearly went ahead through a superb strike from Richard Brindley. The wing back was set back by Porter from the angle in the box and his half volley hit the bar and bounced down to safety of the post.

Colchester didn’t have to wait long for the opening goal however, as Dickenson rifled in shot from inside the area after a cross was cleared straight to him.

Stevenage had their first chance of the game through Luke Wilkinson as he flicked on Steve Schumacher's free kick. Fortunately for Colchester the ball bounced on the roof of the net.

Sam Walker was then forced into a double save as he acrobatically denied Matt Godden from the edge of the box then Godden shoots again only to be denied by Walker.

Colchester then doubled their lead with the next attack in a chaotic phase of play in the Stevenage box. 

Firstly George Elokobi had a header that comes back off the post, then the ball fell nicely to Sean Murray and his drilled shot was deflected in by Porter to make it 2-0.

The U's made it 3-0 in the 33rd minute through an own goal that Stevenage forward McQuoid will want to forget. He failed to clear Tom Eastman's flick from a corner and instead poked it into his own net.

Three became four in the 39th minute as Stevenage scored yet another own goal. This time Tarique Fosu's cut back on the byline was deflected onto the post and into the back of the net by Lee. 

This meant Colchester went into half time 4-0 up and in complete control after a dominant first half and plenty to work with in the second period.

The second half was slightly less eventful than the first, Colchester's lead meant they were able to play with plenty of freedom and were fully in control.

Chances for both sides were few and far between. 

Firstly Walker was forced into a save by Jobi McAnuff and then Dickenson forced Chris Day into a smart save as Colchester looked for a fifth. Drey Wright also saw an effort from the edge of the area go just wide of the post.

There were no other chances to note as Colchester secured the three points and kept a clean sheet to wrap up an impressive win. 

The U's are now two points off the play-offs and will now turn their attention to their next game as they welcome title chasing Doncaster Rovers to the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

Advertisement block