Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 14/04/2017

14 April 2017

However, they remain just two points off the play-offs as the race for League One continues apace.

The U's went toe to toe with their already promoted opponents and perhaps could have won it late on as they pressed for the crucial third goal of the game. 

Brennan Dickenson opened the scoring for Colchester, but his strike was cancelled out by the Mathieu Baudry's powerful header on the brink of half time. 

There was nothing to split the two sides on Good Friday as Colchester and Doncaster Rovers played out an entertaining 1-1 draw. 

The first chance of the game brought the first goal of the game as Dickenson was able to add to his ever growing tally of goals this season.

Drey Wright beat his man down the right hand side before his cross was flicked on by Richard Brindley. The ball ran across the box and Dickenson hit the ball with the outside of his foot right into the top corner to give the U's the lead.

Colchester nearly added a second three minutes later but Chris Porter was denied by the woodwork as his shot from the edge of the area hit the post and was cleared to safety.

Doncaster's first chance came from League Two top scorer John Marquis. The striker got the better of Cameron James in the area and his placed shot went beyond the reach of Sam Walker only for Tom Eastman to slide in and deny a certain goal with a superb block.

Doncaster did equalise in added time in the first half however, as Baudry met a corner from the left and powerfully headed the ball into the back of the net to make it 1-1.

The second half was an entertaining affair as both sides created good opportunities but were unable to take them.

Four minutes into the second half, Gary McSheffrey had a free kick on the edge of the box that clipped the outside of the post, although Walker did appear to have the shot covered.

The it was the turn of Colchester to go close but Wright's shot went just wide after the winger drove forward with the ball before releasing a good strike.

Then Walker had to produce a smart save from close range as Matty Blair turned the ball goalwards only to be denied.

The best chance of the half fell to Doncaster sub Alfie May but Walker did brilliantly to deny the striker as he faced him one on one. 

May appeared to be offside as the ball was played over but the linesman’s flag stayed down, before the U's goalkeeper denied a great chance for a goal.

As the game approached the final 10 minutes, Rekeil Pyke set up Sean Murray on the edge of the box but his shot deflected just wide of the post for a corner. 

There was still time for Colchester to have a penalty shout turned down as Pyke was bundled to the ground whilst trying to meet a cross from the right but nothing was given. 

In the final few minutes, both sides pushed for a winner without creating any clear cut chances which meant the score remained 1-1.

The point keeps Colchester firmly in the hunt for a play-off spot as they remain two points off Carlisle in 9th place.The U's now travel to Morecambe on Monday as they look to return to winning ways on the road.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account