Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Tom's Blog From Kenya

12 April 2017

Day Ten sees football galore!

Day Ten: April 9th

After a week's hard work out in Kenya, the team's trip was beginning to near an emotional end.  We'll have one final update soon, and our latest blog from Community Development Officer Tom Tayler reflects on a day of sport on Sunday.
Our penultimate day in Kenya was another busy one and, as usual, a hearty breakfast of toast, doughnuts and African tea fuelled us for what was to come.

The group split into sub-groups, with some souvenir hunting, one heading back to The Walk Centre to finish the Col U crest, which was impressively painted onto the newly refurbished classrooms.

The remainder of the group were off to a local football pitch, where we had arranged a match against Ken's team, 08 Community FC. As we arrived, the pitch was the first thing that caught our attention. 

There was very little grass on hte pitch and there was a heavy layer of dust and stones inbetween the wooden goals.

Once we had waited for the appropriate matchball with some air in, we were ready to play. Our team of five volunteers was topped up with some of the locals.

We took an early lead as we were instructed by coach Hassan. The players on both teams were technically sound, although they seemed to favour the long ball!

We held out for a 1-0 win after an onslaught for the last ten minutes, as well as some lengthy injury time.

The point was not to win, but to get out into the local community and all of the players and spectators had an amazing experience.

After a quick shower and lunch, we were off to the Nakuru Stadium to watch some Kenyan Premier League matches.

For 500 KSH (£4.00), we got in for two consecutive matches, Postal v Western Stima and the showpiece Unlzini Stars v Bandari.

As we sat in the non-segregated section, we were delivered some cans of Tusker as well as some hot nuts.

As we entered the second half of the second game, there was a drastic change in the weather as a monsoon broke out, nearly ripping the corregated iron from the roof!

Despite the weather, and to Ken's delight, Ulzini Stars crossed in the ball from the right and it was slammed home to win the game 2-1.

After the match, we were whisked off to Nuru Palace Hotel where we were treated to a delightful dinner.

After dinner, Fred and Sharon sat us down for an emotional farewell meeting, where yet again it was a struggle to keep a dry eye throughout the speeches.

Colchester United were then presented with a very special clock to commemorate our time out there.

The return to Kivu was another one full of reflection over a couple of last night drinks. Again, it was an early night as we were due at breakfast for 7am, before the start of the long journey home.

Back The Boys - For A Whole Year!
to find out more.Click here If you want to get right behind the U's, you can buy an Annual Subscription at any time and come to every home game (first team and U23s) for a full year. 

Advertisement block