Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Town Too Strong For U's

U's beaten in second away game

19 August 2017

Luton Town ran out 3-0 winners on Saturday afternoon, as they proved too strong for the U's.

Marek Stech made a crucial save from Sammie Szmodics at 2-0 that would have given the U's hope, but Sam Walker also made a string of impressive saves to keep the visitors in the game.

But in the end, Town made it two home wins from two to establish themselves among the early front runners in League Two.

The U's continue to search for that first win and will attempt to get off the mark against Forest Green Rovers.

Kinsella was the first to have a glimpse of goal for the visitors, with his shot from Wright’s cross blocked at source as it appeared to be on its way to the opposition goal.

Town should perhaps have been ahead on 11 minutes as they got in down the right and a cross was stood up for Hylton to attack, but it was really well saved low to his right by Walker.

The home side were dangerous and swift on the counter attack, but the U’s were having chances of their own and Vincent-Young pulled his shot just wide after winning the ball in midfield and then beating two men on a run forward.

Town had a chance when Shinnie’s cross/shot was on its way to Collins, but Walker was quick to seize on the loose ball as it headed towards the home striker.

McCormack was the first man into the book for a foul on Szmodics, after the U’s man had hunted the ball down well in midfield.

His fellow midfielder Lee was presented with a great chance on 36 minutes and his shot was on its way into the bottom corner before Walker pulled off another good stop to turn it away.

The home side thought they had had a penalty shout two minutes later as Potts went down under pressure from Mandron, but it was a yellow card to the former U’s loanee for simulation on this occasion.

The home side kept pressing, though, and they escaped on the counter on the stroke of half time, but Shinnie’s shot was straight into the arms of Walker.

Their endeavours were finally rewarded in injury time in that first half, as the ball was put back into the box and Lee took time to compose himself before smashing home from close range.

The U’s started the second half brightly, but were again indebted to Walker, who pulled off a sensational stop to deny McCormack’s first time half volley from the edge of the box.

The U’s goalkeeper could do nothing about the next chance on goal though, as Collins bent a superb effort into the top corner.

The home side looked to turn the screw and from a quick free kick, Hylton’s flicked header came down off the underside of the bar.

The U’s were unable to get any flow to their game and it could have been three when Sheehan’s cross/shot clipped the top of the bar.

Vincent-Young tried to get the U’s back into the game with another shot from distance, but it went just wide of Stech’s near post.

Tariq Issa was the U’s final sub of the day, following Johnstone and Murray onto the pitch as the visitors sought to get something out of the game.

But the match was taken further away from the U’s on 83 minutes as a long free kick was sent to the far post and it was former loanee Potts who was on hand to tap home from close range.

Issa tried to reduce arrears as he beat Stacey before firing over, and then Murray ended a good U’s move by curling his effort well over the bar.

But the U's were left well beaten in the end ahead of next week's home match.

Advertisement block