Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Grab Vital Win

21 February 2017

Big George with the all important goal.

Colchester United moved back into the play-off spots on Tuesday evening, as they battled to a 1-0 draw over Wycombe Wanderers.

The victory ensured they completed the double over their old rivals and it lifted them four places up to seventh ahead of the weekend game against Hartlepool United.

George Elokobi was the U's match winning - scoring a sensational effort into the top corner in the first half, before crucially hooking off the line from Paris Cowan-Hall's header with Sam Walker beaten.

In fairness, the visitors had good chances to get level in the game, but a determined and committed U's display ensured that they were not to give up the lead that Big George had given them in the first half.

It was the home side that started the brighter, but the opening goal came from an unexpected source. 

Elokobi was some distance out as he looked up, but his effort caught Blackman out as it flew into the top corner.

The goal lifted the U's supporters and it was a decent derby style atmosphere for much of the first half.

Having had the better of the first quarter of the game, Wanderers then came on strong for the rest of the first half. 

Playing off the strengths of Akinfenwa, the dangerous Cowan-Hall had two chances in the first half, but they were repelled by the U's back line, which included a first start for defender Cameron James.

And Akinfenwa himself should have drawn the visitors level just before half time. He reacted to his own flick on, but lifted his effort over the bar. 

The powerful forward then had a chance just after the interval, as the ball fell to him at the far post - but his header was well collected by Walker low down.

Then, on 55 minutes, goalscorer Elokobi hooked off the line as Cowan-Hall had battled past Brindley to head past Walker.

But in the second half the U's had chances of their own as Porter's persistence set up Guthrie, who forced a good low stop out of Blackman.

And, with Wright and Fosu introduced off the bench, the U's began to give themselves a way out of the pressure the visitors had created and create opportunities of their own.

With seven minutes to go, Harriman headed off the line as Guthrie went for goal from a corner and then Dickenson lifted a free kick over the bar.

Jacobsen saw red for a second yellow just before the free kick, but Wycombe had the last chance as Akinfenwa headed towards goal from a corner, but Wright headed clear.

It meant a big three points to thrust the U's back into the play-off spots ahead of Saturday's game against Hartlepool.

Advertisement block