Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Win At Home Again

25 March 2017

McGreal's men two points off the play-off spots.

It makes it nine wins in the last eleven home games and twelve home wins so far this season as the hunt for League One continues.

A dominant first half for the U's saw them 2-0 up at half time as Chris Porter scored a brace and, although Isaac Vassell pulled a goal back for Luton with minutes to go in the second half, John McGreal's men held out for a crucial three points.

Colchester got back to winning ways with a 2-1 against Luton Town to maintain their push for promotion as March comes to a close.

The U's got off to a perfect start as they looked to bounce back from last week's defeat to Crewe Alexandra as Porter scored a looping header just four minutes in as he met a superb cross from Brennan Dickenson from the left.

Colchester were nearly 2-0 up just before the 15 minute mark, but a long range effort from Drey Wright was parried behind by Matt Macey.

From the resulting corner, Rekeil Pyke was able to head a deep cross back into danger and Macey was on hand to produce a good save from a Dickenson header.

Two minutes later came yet another good chance for the U's, as Tom Eastman had a free header inside the six yard box but was unable to keep it down with the goal at his mercy.

In the 31st minute, Colchester did add a second as Brindley produced a dangerous cross to the near post and Porter got a flick that crept over the line before Macey could save.

It was a goal that the U's fully deserved and it looked to be a long way back for Luton as they struggled to create any clear cut chances.

The second half saw Colchester defend slightly deeper as they looked to hold on to their two goal lead.

Colchester defended well for the most part but Luton did have good chances to score.

With 64 minutes gone, Sam Walker and then George Elokobi came to the rescue for the U's. After a scramble in the box Lawson D'Ath turned a shot towards goal to which Walker was equal to. 

The rebound fell to Alan Sheehan on the edge of the area and his curling shot looked to be heading into the top corner until George Elokobi headed off the line.

From there on in, Luton took a direct approached as a couple of long throws caused problems in the Colchester box, but the U's were able to clear their lines.

Luton did pull a goal back in added time at the end of the game as Vassell bundled the ball into the net at the back post, but Colchester held out for hard fought win.

The win leaves things very tight at the top end off the table as the U's are now just five points off fourth spot and two points off the play-off places.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account