Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U18s Make Cup Progress

Dramatic nine goal thriller at WHCS

31 October 2017

Colchester United U18s showed fantastic spirit to fight back from 3-0 down and progress to the next stage of the FA Youth Cup.

They eventually ran out 5-4 winners in a dramatic and captivating cup tie, as Cheshunt pushed them all the way at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

Dean Ager grabbed the vital fourth and fifth goals in an all action ninety minutes, to help Chris Llewellyn's side through to the next round.

The U's had found themselves 3-0 down in the first half an hour, and the first goal arrived after just twelve seconds.

The ball was picked up after a slip up in midfield and George Smith made no mistake as he smashed the ball into the top corner.

The U's pressed forward after that early setback, but were two down on the quarter hour mark.

Tariq Bakkali attempted to swing the ball over, but it clipped a U's defender and sailed over George Philllips in the Colchester goal.

Two became three on the half hour mark as, under pressure from Ajetola Showunmi, Ollie Kensdale could only turn the ball into his own net.

The U's were given hope when Callum Jones tucked home a penalty after Ollie Sims was tripped in the box, and the game begun to swing in the home side's favour as a cross from the right was turned into his own net by Chris Joseph-Forino on the stroke of half time.

The game was back within the U's grasp and they drew level twelve minutes into the second half.

Noah Chilvers picked up a loose ball 25 yards from goal and smashed home to square the game up at 3-3.

The U's were on the front foot now and went in front for the first time on 68 minutes as Dean Ager worked his way across the box and then drove past the helpless Alfie Hobbs.

Four became three two minutes later as Ager sprung the offside trap and slotted home to make it 5-3.

Despite a two goal advantage, the game was not over and Joseph-Forino made up for his earlier own goal by hooking home past Phillips to set up a nervy finish.

But the U's managed the remaining time without too many more problems and made their way through to Round Two.

Advertisement block