Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Chairboys Edge Lively Encounter

Second half pressure goes unrewarded

23 September 2017

Colchester United's unbeaten home record came to an end on Saturday, as Wycombe edged an action packed encounter.

After an even start to the game, the U’s began to build up some pressure in the first ten minutes and Brown had to save well with his legs to see away a crisp Szmodics shot after good work by Lapslie.

That was followed by Loft getting the ball back from a corner and cutting across the box, before firing over the crossbar from 20 yards.

And the home team had the better of the first quarter of the game, as they sought the opener in front of their own supporters.

Chances for the visitors were not as common, although Akinfenwa got a half sight of goal midway through, where he scuffed his shot wide of Walker’s near post.

The Chairboys should have perhaps been in front on 25 minutes though, as the ball fell into the path of Mackail-Smith in a decent position, but he dragged his effort wide of the far post.

And they got their noses in front just after the half hour mark.

Walker got a hand to Mackail-Smith’s shot from outside of the box, but Tyson was the first to react to head home the loose ball.

Szmodics continued to look the U’s most likely goal threat and he forced a top drawer save out of Brown with ten minutes to go in the first half as the home side’s top scorer sent one towards the top corner.

The U’s had a sight of goal again on 39 minutes as Inniss headed a cross back into the danger area and Hanlan couldn’t quite connect with his hooked effort.

The half had been a fairly even affair and it was only right the U’s drew level just before the break.

They progressed through the heart of the pitch and Wright slid in Hanlan, who held off his man before lifting his shot in off the bar to beat Brown.

The two teams went in at half time all square but Wycombe had a good chance just after the restart as the ball fell to Eze, but Vincent-Young was in to block bravely.

At the other end, the U’s worked the ball across the area, but Jackson sliced the ball well off target as they sought the next goal in the game.

As they had in the first half, the U’s built up a head of steam and saw an Inniss header hooked off the line by Jacobson, before Kent had a big, big shout for a penalty as he was hauled to the ground as he went for a header.

Those opportunities would still have been fresh in the mind as the U’s fell behind for a second time shortly afterwards.

Scarr’s header from a free kick came back off the post and across goal and Mackail-Smith was on hand to smack home from close range.

The U’s were almost level straight away as they broke into the box, with the ball being controlled by Hanlan. He worked space for a shot, but Brown pulled off an excellent low stop.

Wright then tested the Wycombe keeper as he drove into space and unleashed a fine shot that was met with an even better save.

As much as the U’s were having the better chances, they were indebted to a good save from Walker as Akinfenwa hit a low shot from Jacobson’s cross.

The U’s made their first change with twelve minutes to go, with Kyel Reid coming on for Eastman for the remainder of the match.

Reid immediately got into the action, his flashing shot going past the far post as the U’s sought the equaliser.

The U’s then introduced Kabamba and Murray as they kept the pressure on into the latter part of the game.

But, despite all of the U's pressure and the chances they created, they couldn't find a way to beat Brown and it was the Chairboys who took the points.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account