Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

All Square With Grimsby

Murray goal earns a share of the spoils

20 January 2018

Colchester United came from behind to grab a share of the spoils in their latest home game against Grimsby Town.

The visitors were the stronger side in the first half and their efforts gave them a half time lead, but the U's fought back after the interval to draw level from Sean Murray.

Both sides could have won it after his early goal in the second half, but it was a point apiece by the final whistle.

The U’s made two changes to their starting eleven, with Kane Vincent-Young and Tom Lapslie replacing Brandon Comley and Mikael Mandron.

The visitors had the first real sight of goal as Walker saved well from Vernam, and a mad scramble ensued with the U’s eventually clearing their lines.

And the Mariners started brightly, playing off Matt to create chances, including a shot from Berrett turned away by Walker.

The U’s started to see more of the ball as the half wore on, but it continued to be the visitors who had the better of it and Osborne rattled a shot off the crossbar when a corner landed at his feet.

Jackson went close on 27 minutes though as he turned thirty yards from goal and zipped in a shot that went just wide of the upright.

At the other end, Town went close as Summerfield darted into the box to get on the end of a cross, but it was a good low stop from Walker, who snaffled up the loose ball too.

And Town got the goal their efforts deserved eight minutes before half time, as the ball fell to Vernam on the edge of the box and he swept home a fine effort into the bottom corner.

Vernam then forced Walker into another good stop before, at the other end, Summerfield was alive to a loose ball just as Szmodics went to shoot.

The U’s were off the pace in the first half and made an attacking change at the break, as Courtney Senior replaced Ryan Inniss.

And the winger was straight into the action as he showed good skill to get into the area and set up Wright. His shot was saved, but it eventually ran to Murray to lash home a fine finish.

Walker pulled off a fine save from a thunderbolt by Vernam and the game was alive now as both teams sought the crucial third goa.,

Just before the hour mark, Jackson darted into the area and his low cross was cleared as far as Wright, but his effort was well wide.

Kean then saved well from Guthrie after the U’s man won the header at a corner.

The U’s were much improved after the break, but Grimsby had another chance on 68 minutes as the ball was crossed to the far post and Davies’ stooped header went wide.

Wright then almost put the U’s in front, driving at Clarke, sending him this way and that, before bending a shot just wide of the post.

The U’s made their second change with seventeen minutes as Mandron replaced Guthrie as they looked to get their noses in front.

Szmodics, fresh from his goal at Wycombe last week, had a ball drop to his feet fifteen minutes from time, but scooped his left footed effort over the bar.

The U’s number ten had another shot blocked, before the home side had a series of corners with which they couldn’t find a route to goal.

Three additional minutes were added on at the end of the ninety, but it finished all square.

Advertisement block