Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Clarets Progress In Senior Cup

Late goal separates the two teams

9 January 2018

Colchester United bowed out of the Essex Senior Cup at the Quarter Final stage on Tuesday night, as a late Shaun Batt strike separated the two sides.

Batt is a familar foe for the U's following his time with Peterborough, Leyton Orient and Barnet, and he showed a touch of class to sweep home Danny Green's cross late in the game to keep alive the Clarets' hopes of retaining the trophy after their victory at the Weston Homes Community Stadium last season.

The two teams had been evenly matched through the ninety minutes and, after a flowing first half had been followed by a battling second, it seemed as though the game was destined to go to penalties beore Batt's late intervention.

For the U's, Luke Prosser completed 67 minutes before being substituted as his return to action continued.

On a damp evening at WHCS, it was the visitors who had the first chance after just two minutes as Giles' header hit the bar and Gilmartin did well to smother when the follow up seemed destined to hit the back of the net.

The U's almost went ahead six minutes later as Senior's driving run and shot was spilt by Beasant before he recovered on the line.

Prosser volleyed a corner over, before Charley Edge saw his free kick tipped over by the Chelmsford keeper.

It was all square at the break and chances were at more of a premium after the interval.

Edge's cross/shot flashed across the box, before West had an effort go just wide of the upright after a low cross found him on the edge of the area.

City got in front with seven minutes remaining as the Clarets came away with the ball in midfield and Green sent over a cross that was asking to be put home and Batt made no mistake as he got on the end of it.

Tarryn Allarakhia whipped a shot wide late on, but it was to no avail as City sent the U's out of the cup to continue their run of success in the county competition.

Advertisement block