Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U's Defeat League Leaders

Team performance guides McGreal's men to impressive win

30 March 2018

Colchester United recorded their second successive victory as goals in the first half from Tom Eastman and Luke Prosser was enough to topple high-flying Luton Town.

The victory closes the gap to the play-off spots to six points and keeps alive hopes of pushing into that race before the season's end.

In tough conditions, the U's went toe to toe with their opponents and deserved their win.

With just two minutes gone, Luton midfielder Luke Berry suffered a nasty injury which caused a lengthy stoppage in play - and everyone at Colchester United would like to wish Luke a speedy recovery.

Almost immediately after the restart the U’s were in front, as a well-worked short corner between Ben Stevenson and Drey Wright resulted in Tom Eastman smashing a powerful header past James Shea in the Hatters' net.

Just moments later Eastman almost doubled his and the U’s goal tally. Another cross was whipped in and the centre-back connected well with his head, but this time Shea gathered well.

The second goal did come shortly after, as another corner resulted in another goal from a centre-back, but this time it was Luke Prosser who found himself on the scoresheet. The skipper did well to lose his man at the back post and guide his header back across goal and neatly into the far corner.

With half an hour on the clock, Danny Hylton had the ball in the net for the visitors, but after wheeling away in celebration he saw his goal chalked off for offside.

Alan Sheehan then put a dangerous ball into the U’s box and Mikael Mandron did well in his own area to head away any danger.

Olly Lee had the last chance of the first half, but his strike beat both Sam Walker and the far post and ended up well wide.

The Hatters started the second half the better of the two sides, and had chances through Hylton and Sheehan, but neither could beat Walker in the U’s goal.

Twenty minutes into the second half Ryan Jackson tried his luck from long range, but the right-back saw his effort blaze over the bar.

With the game entering the final quarter, Prosser displayed some exceptional defending and threw his body in the way of a Hylton shot which looked a certain goal.

Sammie Szmodics was putting in a shift and with ten minutes left, the lively forward pressed the Luton defence into conceding a corner to the delight of the U’s fans.

With the game nearly over, Jackson brought Hylton down in the box and referee Trevor Kettle awarded the visitors a penalty, which Hylton himself chipped down the middle to make it 2-1.

In the last minute of stoppage time, Eastman capped off his fine performance with a perfectly timed tackle to stop Hylton after Lee appeared to play the striker through on goal.

Victory over top of the table Luton means the U’s have recorded back to back wins and find themselves just six points off the playoff places with six games left to play this season.

Advertisement block