Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

England Youngsters See Off Germany

Second half goals seal 2-0 win at the JobServe Community Stadium

19 November 2018

England U20s have beaten Germany 2-0, thanks to two second half efforts for the Three Lions.

The young Germany side had the better of things in the first half, but Paul Simpson’s youngsters grew into the game in the final minutes of that period and took things further after the break.

Joe Willock broke the deadlock on sixty six minutes, beating a final defender before shooting past Schubert in the German goal.

And England doubled the lead two minutes later, as sub Lukas Nmecha tapped in after great work by Eddie Nketiah.

At the start of the game, England had the first chance but Nketiah slipped running through onto a ball over the top.

Germany though, controlled much of the rest of the half, and had numerous chances to open the scoring.

Amade and Schlotterbeck could and maybe should have scored with headers, then Schlotterbeck volleyed against the bar.

A stunning strike by Wintzheimer almost caught Aaron Ramsdale out, but the home keeper awkwardly pushed the ball over the bar.

After defending resolutely for the majority of the half, England finished the better, with Willock shooting into the side netting and Diangana hitting his effort straight at the keeper.

The half time break didn’t stop England’s momentum too much, Willock hit the side netting again on fifty minutes and Adam Lewis’ shot was comfortably saved two minutes later.

A triple substitution just after the hour mark gave England fresh impetus, and six minutes after the changes, they were two goals to the good.

Willock was too good for a German defender as he raced into the box, and his low shot into the near post was also too good for the keeper.

Nketiah’s run down the left on sixty eight minutes ended with a low cross inside the six yard box, and Nmecha had the simplest task of tapping into the empty net to make it 2-0.

Nketiah then had a shot himself, but it flew narrowly wide and England had to then do some defending for the remainder of the game.

Eggestein should have scored on seventy nine minutes but shot too close to Ramsdale, then his curling effort was equally comfortable for the England keeper.

Fellow German sub Musllija had two efforts from free kicks as the game went into injury time but both were saved, one palmed away and another was clutched to Ramsdale’s chest.

It was an entertaining game for the north Essex crowd, who braved terrible conditions to cheer England onto victory.

Advertisement block