Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

All Square In U18s Derby

Six goals in Ipswich encounter

15 October 2018

It was goals galore at Florence Park on Saturday, as Colchester United's U18s shared a 3-3 draw with local neighbours Ipswich Town.

Both sides also struck the woodwork in a game that could have gone either way throughout the ninety minutes.

It was the U's who got their noses in front after just two minutes, as Noah Chilvers spotted Toby Egan off his line and chipped the Town goalie from around 30 yards out.

The U's midfielder attempted the same feat on 17 minutes, but this time it dropped wide of the post.

The two teams continued to trade chances and the U's had another chance to double their advantage on 40 minutes, but Jake Hutchinson's shot came back off the post.

Having scored after two minutes of the first half, the U's conceded after two minutes of the second.

Zak Brown won the ball in a good area, and he unselfishly squared for Thomas Hughes to drive home and make it 1-1.

Brown then hit the post from Dylan Ruffles' cross from the right, before Hutchinson skewed a shot wide from Todd Miller's cross.

The U's did get their noses in front midway through the second half.

Miller fed in Lordon Akolbire and he struck his shot past Egan to restore the home side's advantage.

The U's remained in front until seven minutes to go, when Matt Healey's cross was headed home by Hughes for his second goal of the game.

And the visitors got in front four minutes later when Hughes completed his hat-trick with a spot kick to turn the game on its head.

And yet the scoring wasn't done, as the U's equalised deep into injury time.

Harvey Sayer and Ollie Sims combined to find Chilvers, who showed good control to move the ball onto his left foot and strike home the third of the game.

U's: Hallett, Akolbire, Cracknell, Fouche, Sayer, Miller, Chilvers, Cornish, Bolt (Kennedy 69), Hutchinson, Sims

Unused subs: Collins, Wind, Stagg, Patino

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account