Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U's Bounce Back In Real Style

Comfortable win to cement top four spot

2 October 2018

Colchester United bounced back from Saturday's defeat in perfect style, running out resounding winners against Yeovil Town.

Tom Eastman's opener was followed by two great strikes by Frank Nouble, as the home side cemented their position as genuine promotion contenders this season.

Three more goals kept that tally ticking over, to send John McGreal's side to Stevenage in great spirits.

The U’s got off to a bright start, with the ball being cleared off Senior’s toes in a good position before, from the resultant corner, Szmodics forced a good save out of Baxter in the Yeoviil goal.

The Glovers were more direct in the early stages as they tried to spring Green in behind, and it required a good tackle from Eastman to sweep up and prevent him getting his shot away.

But it was the U’s with the goal threat and Jackson cut in from the right to strike a left footed shot that forced another good save from Baxter.

Nouble was next to go close, looping a back header onto the roof of the net.

Their pressure was rewarded on 25 minutes as Pell helped on Senior’s corner and it dropped to Eastman, who slid home a shot past Baxter to break the deadlock.

Norris was looking for goals not long afterwards and struck a fierce shot from distance that Baxter collected well.

The U’s front man almost doubled the advantage three minutes before half time as the home team pressed the Yeovil defence. Norris poked the loose ball past Baxter, but it didn’t have enough on it to quite cross the line.

The U’s went into the break a goal to the good, but it was Yeovil who had the first sight of goal after the interval.

Green turned on the afterburners and sent over a cross that Fisher could only turn over the bar.

Senior was equally dangerous going forwards for the U’s and brought a foul from Dickinson as he bore down towards goal after the 50 minute mark.

And the U’s winger sent over a dangerous cross not long after, that was hooked clear by D’Almeida.

Norris was seeking a goal to continue his recent streak and fired over an absolute thunderbolt that dipped just over.

But it was Nouble who was to get the U’s second, winning the ball in midfield, driving 40 yards forward and lifting a shot over Baxter to make it 2-0.

Chances were at a premium for the visitors and Olomola wriggled free with twelve minutes to goal, but he scuffed his shot well wide.

The U’s made their first change with ten minutes to go, with Dickenson coming on for the impressive Senior.

Straight after the sub, Szmodics won the ball and sent in a low shot that the keeper saved well.

And the U’s number ten was goal provider with six minutes to go. He seized on a defensive mistake to square it to Nouble, who finished with a lovely lifted shot to make it three.

Lapslie was replaced to warm applause not long after, with Diaz Wright getting another league appearance. And, completing the U’s subs, Norris was replaced by Mikael Mandron.

The visitors did pull one back deep into injury time with a sensational free kick from James, but it was too little too late.

And the final whistle blew straight after the restart, as the U’s began another unbeaten run.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account