Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Cambridge Take The Points

Visitors turn it around in the second half

17 August 2019

Cambridge United won the battle of the U's on Saturday afternoon, as they came from behind to pick up all three points.

The home side put in a strong first half performance as they dominated possession through the opening forty-five minutes, but only had a Luke Norris goal to show for their efforts.

The second goal wouldn't come for John McGreal's men, though and they were left to rue that as Cambridge equalised ten minutes into the second half and went ahead eight minutes from the end to complete the turnaround.

The U's now head to Grimsby on Tuesday night in search of their first league victory of the season.

With two changes from their win over Swindon in midweek, the U's took the lead after just nine minutes.

There could have been a spot kick just before the decision was given in their favour, but a foul on Stevenson saw the referee point to the spot.

And Norris slotted home his penalty superbly to give visiting keeper Mitov no chance.

The U's went on to dominate the first half with the vast majority of play in and around the Cambridge box.

Norris just missed a Clampin cross and drove another shot just wide, as the home side went in search of a second.

Cambridge's first effort didn't arrive until eight minutes before half time, as Dallas forced a good stop out of Gerken.

And eight minutes into the second half, the visitors did draw level. A cross was swung over from the right and Richards leapt high to power home a header.

The equaliser saw the U's shaken back into their stride, but Lambe was next to go close for the visitors with an effort that whipped wide of the far post.

Nouble and Norris both fired powerful efforts off target, before Brown lifted a shot over as Jackson's long throw fell to his feet.

The U's had a claim for a penalty as Jackson was fouled right on the edge of the box, but the referee awarded a free kick.

And the visitors took the lead not long afterwards as an acrobatic effort from Darling beat Gerken low down.

The U's went in search of a late equaliser but were unable to break down the visitors back line, and the three points were to slip through their grasp on this occasion.

Advertisement block