Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U's Progress Past Swindon In The Cup

13 August 2019

Colchester United progressed to the Second Round of the Carabao Cup on Tuesday night, as a strong second half performance saw them progress past Swindon Town.

The visitors had started the stronger but, as the game wore on, the U's grew into the match.

And the fixture burst into life with two red cards on 62 minutes, with both sides reduced to ten men.

The U's were the ones to take advantage of the situation, with Tom Eastman, Courtney Senior and Brandon Comley grabbing Colchester's goals.

They progress to the next stage for the first time in nine years ahead of this weekend's game against Cambridge.

Swindon bossed possession in the early stages, with Michael Doughty impressing with his control of play.

But they were often repelled by Dean Gerken, who made his first good save of the game when he denied Jerry Yates on twelve minutes.

Seven minutes later, Brown's clipped ball into the box was just beyond Norris, but it was Swindon who continued to threaten.

Cohen Bramall was in the right place to block on the line ten minutes before the break and the U's went on to finish the half the stronger.

They had a series of corners that had Swindon on the back foot, but it got to half time without a goal being scored.

Ten minutes into the second half, Prosser denied Yates with an excellent challenge and, three minutes later, Gerken pulled off another sharp stop from Anderson.

The game burst into life when Bramall and Yates came together in front of the Swindon fans, sparking a melee and they both saw red.

Lapslie moved to left back for the remainder of the game and went on to have quite an influence on the match.

He sent over a dangerous low cross that was just beyond Norris on 73 minutes, and Brown then pulled a shot just wide as the U's opportunities grew.

Four minutes later, the U's were ahead as Eastman sidefooted home a corner to break the deadlock.

The Robins then had some territory of their own and Gerken pulled off another good stop to tip over Isgrove's close range header.

That stop proved vital when the U's got their second in injury time.

Nouble got away down the left on a counter attack and he had the presence of mind to square for Senior to roll home.

And the scoring wasn't done yet, as Senior had a close range effort blocked and Comley bundled home to send the U's into the next round.

Advertisement block