Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Vibrant U's Make It Back To Back Wins

Comfortable victory elevates U's into play-off spots

9 February 2019

Colchester United carried on where they left off against Northampton, as they ran out comfortable winners against Cheltenham Town on Saturday afternoon.

John McGreal's men scored three goals of the highest quality, as they put Cheltenham to the sword either side of half time.

And they offered the visitors little at the other end, as they recorded their fourteenth clean sheet of the season to move up into the play-offs. 

All of the other results went the U's way, as they shot back up into fourth place as a result of the win. 

There was, however, an early injury blow for the U’s, as Pell pulled up having injured his hamstring, with Tom Lapslie coming on.

Clear cut chances were at a premium in the first twenty minutes, but the U’s were beginning to grow into the game and saw Szmodics have an effort to the near post turned behind.

At the other end, it was almost half a chance for Varney, but it was a good block from Jackson to deny the shot.

Next, Lapslie slid the ball through for Senior and his low shot was spilled by Flinders, but it was eventually hacked away.

The U’s were feeling out their opponents, but took the lead in fantastic style on the half hour mark.

Vincent-Young picked the ball up just inside the Cheltenham half, drove past two and unleashed a rocket to beat Flinders all ends up.

The goalkeeper did better when the U’s put together another excellent move.

Nouble and Eisa combined on 38 minutes, and the loanee unleashed a fierce shot that Flinders turned away at full length.

And Eisa tested the keeper again with a near post effort that he batted away.

The second goal was coming and it arrived two minutes before half time with another brilliant move.

Eisa and Szmodics combined and the U’s number ten set it up for Nouble. He still had a bit to do, but burst into the box and unleashed another thunderbolt to double the home side’s lead.

The U’s started the half on the front foot and Szmodics was the first to test Flinders with a half volley that the keeper saved at his near post.

They got the third of the game, ten minutes after the interval. Senior was the provider – and could have been the scorer himself.

He drove past a multitude of challenges and then unselfishly squared it for Eisa to ram home past Flinders.

The U’s made their first change on 65 minutes, as Eisa was replaced by Brennan Dickenson.

The number eleven set up Szmodics next, with the U’s top scorer seeing his sharp shot well blocked on its path to goal.

The U’s were comfortable in the second half, despite Cheltenham seeing more of the ball in the middle part of the second 45.

Stevenson went into the book seven minutes from time after a trip on the man who robbed him of the ball.

Lapslie was replaced by Mandron with five minutes left, and the U’s nearly added a fourth just before the end.

Szmodics darted into the box and he, Nouble and Senior all tried to work space to get a shot off but it was eventually cleared.

And the home side then saw out the remainder of the match with no undue problems, as they moved back into the play-off spots and within five points of automatic promotion.

Advertisement block