Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Win at Dulwich

Pre-season continues with another 2-0 victory

9 July 2019

Colchester United have beaten Dulwich Hamlet in their second build-up fixture

Half the squad got sixty minutes under their belt, in what was relatively physical match against the National League South side.

The first half was goalless, but both sides did hit the woodwork.

Ethan Ross was helpless when a clever curler beat him down to his right, but the post came to his aid, and the rebound was cleared.

The hosts had their keeper to thank later in the first period, when he superbly tipped a Courtney Senior effort onto the crossbar.

Senior got a deserved goal early in the second half, squeezing his shot under the keeper to open the scoring.

And Omar Sowunmi doubled the lead on the hour with a diving header from Jevani Brown's corner.

In the opening couple of minutes, it was the U’s who were controlling possession, and they didn’t have to wait long for the first chance.

That came in the third minute as Kane Vincent-Young was fouled, but Luke Norris’ free kick cleared the bar by a fair distance.

A more direct home side then put a few dangerous balls into the U’s area, all from wide areas, but Ethan Ross wasn’t troubled.

He was troubled on fourteen minutes though, but Clunis’ clever curling effort rebounded off the post and was cleared.

Vincent-Young, who had looked dangerous throughout the first quarter of an hour, drove into the home penalty area but couldn’t keep his shot down and the chance went.

The woodwork count was level on nineteen minutes, but a fantastic fingertip save from Grainger meant Courtney Senior’s long range effort hit the bar rather than the back of the net.

Ten minutes later, Senior was causing more problems for the home defence, but his run and shot ended with the keeper making a comfortable save down to his left.

Good possession in and around the Dulwich penalty area looked like it could be dangerous, but Vincent-Young and Senior were probably guilty of not shooting when there were opening to do so.

The U’s were having the better of things as the half came to an end and there were a couple of late chances for the hosts, but Tom Eastman made timely interventions to prevent low crosses finding Mills.

After the break, the U’s were on the front foot, and Luke Norris was denied by a last ditch tackle after good work from Luke Gambin down the right ended with a dangerous low cross into the box.

That came on fifty minutes, and seven later the U’s opened the scoring through Senior.

His run down the left ended with a relatively straightforward shot for the keeper to save, but it went under him and into the back of the net.

Senior and then Stevenson were then denied by decent saves, but the second goal came on sixty one minutes as the pressure grew on the hosts.

Brown whipped a corner in, and Omar Sowunmi dived to head home from the edge of the six yard area.

A raft of substitutions came immediately after the goal.

Prosser, Kensdale, Ager, Pell, Comley, Chilvers, Cowan-Hall and Nouble entered the fray, and continued to have the upper hand.

Chilvers was denied by a low save, then Cowan-Hall shot over the angle of post and bar from distance and had a second shot saved.

There were further chances to increase the lead in the final quarter of the game, but Chilvers hit the post from a tight angle, and Brown hit a free kick over from just outside the box.

In the final minutes, Frank Nouble almost made it three, but his lobbed effort landed on the roof of the net after a strong run down the right.

The U's head north for a training camp now, ahead of Sunday's Open Day at the JobServe Community Stadium.

U's Starters: Ross, James, Sowunmi, Eastman, Vincent-Young, Lapslie, Stevenson, Gambin, Hassanally, Senior, Norris.

Subs: Barnes, Jackson, Kensdale, Prosser, Chilvers, Comley, Pell, Brown, Cowan-Hall, Ager, Nouble.

Advertisement block