Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Start With A Win

Bowers resistance broken in the second half

5 July 2019

Colchester United got pre-season off to a winning start on Friday night, as two goals in the second half were enough to see off a spirited Bowers & Pitsea side.

The match saw three of the U's five summer additions put on Colchester colours, whilst a host of Academy products were also given the opportunity to shine across the ninety minutes.

Clear-cut chances were at a premium in the first half, but the U's moved the ball quicker after the break and got their goals through Louis Dunne and Luke Norris.

The opening forty-five minutes of the pre-season campaign saw Omar Sowumni line up alongside Luke Prosser in the U's back four, whilst Michael Fernandes started on the left as the U's sought a path to goal.

His opposite winger Courtney Senior had the first sight of goal after just three minutes, but dragged his effort wide.

The U's had to wait for another effort on target, as a resilient Bowers defence kept their concentration to keep the visitors attacks at bay.

Bowers right back Ryan Sammon stung the fingertips of Ethan Ross from distance on the half hour mark, and then just before half time, keeper Callum Chafer denied Frank Nouble.

The home side should maybe have been in front before the break, but James Thomas flashed his header wide from a good position.

The second half saw a complete change of players from the U's, as they made full use of their squad at this stage of pre-season.

And they nearly took the lead after four minutes of the second half as Kane Vincent-Young forced a save out of Chafter and Andre Hasanally's follow-up was cleared from danger.

Luke Gambin was pulling the strings in midfield and sent a brilliant through ball through to Dean Ager, but he dragged his effort off target.

The chances were starting to flow now and the U's went ahead on the hour mark.

The U's broke from a Bowers attack and Vincent-Young drove into the box to square to Louis Dunne who firmly sidefooted home.

Bowers almost equalised not long afterwards, as Luke Hirst forced a low save out of Dillon Barnes between the sticks.

Hasanally's driving run on 73 minutes saw the ball fall to goalscorer Dunne, and his bent effort was tipped around the post.

James then set up Norris with a tempting cross and his header was only inches over the bar.

Chafer was impressing for Bowers and pulled off an excellent stop on 83 minutes to deny a Vincent-Young thunderbolt.

But he could do little about the U's clinching goal,

Eastman sent out a diagonal to the bombing run of James, who took the ball out of his feet with an excellent first touch.

He spotted the darting run of Norris and slid the ball into the striker's path to tuck home.

A pleasing victory for the U's then, who go to Dulwich Hamlet on Tuesday next up.

U's First Half: Ross (Vose), Jackson, Sowunmi, Prosser, Clampin, Comley, Stevenson, Senior, Chilvers, Fernandes, Nouble

U's Second Half: Barnes, James, Kensdale, Eastman, Vincent-Young, Lapslie, Hasanally, Gambin, Ager, Dunne, Norris

Advertisement block