Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Young U's Catch The Cup Bug

Youth Team win through in FA Youth Cup

31 October 2019

Colchester United's U18s have beaten Northampton Town in the First Round of the FA Youth Cup

Liam Bailey's youngsters would have been inspired by the U's Carabao Cup win on Tuesday night, and saw off the Cobblers in the world's most prestigious youth competition twenty four hours later.

After a goalless first half, Diogo Freitas-Gouveia gave the U's the lead when he slid the ball underneath the onrushing Lewi Patching.

He then turned provider, crossing for Jake Hutchinson to double the U's lead.

The hosts got a goal back as the clock ticked over ninety minutes, but despite some nervous moments in injury time, the U's held out.

Northampton Town’s U18s side welcomed the Category Two Academy side Colchester United to the PTS Academy Stadium for their First Round tie in this season’s FA Youth Cup.

After a cagey opening ten minutes, the Cobblers had sight of an opportunity when a long ball found Michael Harding just outside the area but keeper Chandler Hallett raced out to claim.

Cobblers full back Richie Bailey was shown a sixteenth minute yellow card, before the visitors went close six minutes later, Jake Hutchinson hitting the bar with a header.

Caleb Chukwuemeka headed just wide for the Cobblers on twenty eight minutes, while a powerful run from Harding was ended unfairly by Lordon Akolbire, earning the U's man a yellow card with thirty three minutes played.

The first action of the second half saw the visitors take the lead a fraction before the hour mark, Diogo Freitas-Gouveia sliding the ball underneath the onrushing Lewi Patching to open the scoring.

United doubled their lead with just over twenty minutes to play, Jake Hutchinson turning in a cross from Freitas-Gouveia.

The Cobblers pressed for a way back in to the tie, and Michael Harding pulled a goal back as the game entered stoppage time, scoring from close range.

However, despite some nervy moments in the four added minutes, the visiting defence held firm to see the Essex side through to Round Two.

Thanks to Northampton Town for providing report and image  

Advertisement block