Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Cardiff See Off Young U's

U23s beaten 2-0 at Florence Park

22 October 2019

Colchester United U23s have lost 2-0 against Cardiff City

The young U’s side faced a more experienced Bluebirds’ side, but held their own in a first half that remained goalless.

Cardiff got on top after the break though, and Will Vaulks and Shamar Moore scored the goals that took the points back to South Wales.

The Welsh side were making their second visit to the area in seven days, having lost 3-1 at Ipswich Town seven days previously.

This looked a much stronger City team though, with Sol Bamba in their defence and the former Rotherham United player Vaulks in midfield and captaining the side.

On a miserable rainy afternoon at Florence Park, the two teams exchanged early chances, with Louis Dunne, pictured, central to the good work offensively for the U’s.

The best chance for the visitors in the first quarter of the game came when Vaulks tried his luck from distance and Bailey Vose was pleased to see it go just over as he scrambled back to his line.

A shot on the turn by Vaulks went just wide on thirty four minutes before the U’s then had their best chance of the half three minutes later.

Weaire won the ball and found Fernandes, who turned and ran at the defence, before being fouled thirty yards out.

The free kick was touched by Cameron James to Fernandes, but keeper Day did well to tip the well struck shot over the bar.

The resulting corner to the near post by Ollie Sims found Jamal Campbell-Ryce, but his attempt was high and wide of the Cardiff goal.

The visitors then had their best opening of the half, as Sang down the right played the ball inside to Vaulks but keeper Vose was equal to it making a smart save, low down to his right.

The half-time whistle went shortly after this, and the young U’s could be pleased with their forty five minutes’ work.

Rchard Hall made the first U’s substitution on the fifty four minute mark, with Diogo Freitas-Gouveia replacing Fernandes.

Vose saved at his near post from Coxe and James headed just over, as the second half continued with both sides having chances.

The U’s maybe should have opened the scoring on the hour mark, but Sims took the wrong option of shooting when Dunne was better placed, and Day saved the youngster’s effort.

This was to prove costly as minutes later, City took the lead.

Players hesitated in the box when appeals for a penalty were made, allowing Vaulks time to firmly shoot home past Vose’s left hand.

Jake Hutchinson replaced Campbell-Ryce, and was immediately in the action with his fellow sub.

Freitas-Gouveia found the young striker but his shot was well blocked by central defender Ciaron Brown.

From the resulting corner, the U’s went very close again as the header by Weaire hit the keeper’s right hand post.

Dunne linked with Freitas-Gouveia on the right and he found the pass to Sims, but it was an easy save for keeper Day down to his right.

The U’s were pushing for a late leveller, but it was Cardiff who made the game safe as the game went into injury time.

Moore got himself into a position to shoot and planted his effort low past Vose to make it 2-0.

It was an undeserved defeat for the young U’s side, who matched their more experienced opponents across the ninety minutes.

Advertisement block