Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U's Finish All Square With Walsall

No route to goal

7 September 2019

Colchester United extended their unbeaten run to six games on Saturday, but couldn't find a way to beat a resolute Walsall side as the match finished 0-0.

The game started at a lively tempo, and it was the U’s who had the first sight of goal, as Norris forced a good full length save out of Roberts.

Chances remained at a premium in the early stages, though, and it wasn’t until the 22nd minute until they had their first chance.

The ball broke to Lavery 25 yards out, and his shot was blocked by the flying Prosser to ensure it remained goalless.

There was a good tackle by Jules on Cowan-Hall on 26 minutes, after the U’s man had initially nicked it past him to get into the box.

Nouble took the initiative on 31 minutes as he drove 25 yards to get into the box, but he was eventually crowded out for a corner.

Norris was next to go close, with Senior sliding it into him in the box. He held off his man, spun him and saw his eventual shot blocked by Jules.

The half finished as it started, with a Norris chance. He was again set up again by Senior, and his shot from the edge of the box forced a good save out of the keeper.

It was all square at the interval, but Clampin came within inches of the opener as his shot spun just wide of the far post.

At the other end, Liddle found himself in space as the ball was cut back to him 25 yards out, but Gerken tipped his shot around the upright.

Nouble tested Roberts just after the hour mark, but it was a safe collect for the keeper on this occasion.

The U’s made their first change on 64 minutes, with Cowan-Hall making way for Brown, with their second following six minutes later with Robinson replacing Norris.

The next two chances came for Col U, with Jackson’s left footed shot well saved by Roberts, before Brown sent a shot the wrong side of the upright.

And then the Saddlers went close, with a cross into the box acrobatically turned towards goal by Adebayo, straight into the arms of the grateful Gerken.

Poku came on for the dying moments of the match, and whilst he saw plenty of the ball, he too found the Walsall back line too resolute to beat.

Another point to the U's tally, and they now travel to Forest Green next Saturday looking to make it seven without a loss.

Advertisement block