Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Double Header Goes Town's Way

Good workout for U's, despite losses to Ipswich

18 August 2020

Colchester United were beaten by near neighbours Ipswich Town in their latest pre-season games.

The U's fell to defeat in both seventy five minute matches games against League One Town, with 0-4 and 0-1 results.

In the first game of the evening, Ipswich Town looked like a strong team up against the U’s, with goals coming from Drinan (2), Edwards and El Mizouni.

For the second game of the evening, the visitors took a slender advantage when Judge scored from a training ground corner, before the U’s grew into the game to provide a sterner opposition.

Game One Team: Gerken, Welch-Hayes, Smith, Senior, Pell, Brown, Kensdale, Clampin, Poku, Gambin, McLeod.

The visitors were out of the traps early with Kane Vincent-Young getting the first shot on goal with just five minutes played. His goal-bound effort was heading for the back of the net, but Ryan Clampin was able to clear.

Two minutes later, and the visitors did take the lead. Aaron Drinan found himself free down the left flank and was able to calmly slot under Dean Gerken to give his side the lead.

The U’s went looking for an equaliser, and nearly found it through Luke Gambin. He picked up the ball from Poku before driving a powerful shot straight down the throat of Harry Wright in the Ipswich goal.

Vincent-Young went close again for the second time in the game, with a chance he really should have scored. He was unmarked at the back post, but was unable to find the net as he sliced the ball wide.

Ipswich Town then took a two goal lead from the penalty spot. Former Ipswich defender Tommy Smith was judged to have fouled Teddy Bishop in the area, with Aaron Drinan sending Gerken the wrong way from twelve yards.

The U’s ‘keeper did well to deny Drinan from getting a third with just over half an hour played, but could do nothing about Gwion Edwards’ shot that nestled in the back of the net a minute later.

The U's could count themselves unlucky not to have had a goal back before the break. Nsiala was caught napping at the back when Brown pinched the ball off him, but couldn’t find a way past Wright who saved well.

After the break, Ipswich were quick to add a fourth, when substitute Idris El Mizouni found the top corner with a good strike that bounced in off the post.

Ipswich were comfortably in charge of the game being four goals ahead, and were quite content to keep the ball for much of the remaining twenty-five minutes.

Game Two Team: George, Bramall, Sowunmi, Harriott, Chilvers, Scarlett, Eastman, Fernandes, Stevenson, Hasanally, Hutchinson.

The U’s started the second game of the evening better, holding on to the ball and looking very comfortable in possession, with Chilvers and Stevenson seeing a lot of the ball in the opening exchanges.

Ipswich were able to manufacture the first chance of the game, when Andre Dozzell had a low drive fly wide of the goal with Shamal George unworried in the U’s goal.

Alan Judge was the first man to test George, with a swerving free kick. His effort may have been going over the bar, but the U’s keeper was taking no chances and pushed the ball safely out for a corner.

From the resulting corner, the visiting side did make the breakthrough – with Alan Judge’s effort curling into the net. A training ground routine corner set Judge up for a shot and his guided effort was tucked into far post.

Omar Sowunmi lined up with Tom Eastman at the heart of the U’s defence and both looked to be solid throughout the first half.

Sowunmi was able to clear off the line from a Flynn Downes header that would have doubled his side’s lead with half an hour played.

Ten minutes later, the U’s centre back was there again to produce a fine sliding tackle with Judge racing away and through on goal with only the ‘keeper to beat.

With seconds to play in the first half, Callum Harriott forced Przybek into a fine save. He latched on to a loose ball on the edge of the visitors’ penalty area and fired a fierce shot at goal with the keeper getting down quickly to deny Harriott.

The second half was an altogether calmer affair, with the visitors happy to keep possession for large parts. They were unlucky not to add a second when Lankester headed wide ten minutes into the second period.

The U’s defence was solid once again, with Sowunmi and Eastman performing well together in front of Shamal George who had little to do.

Jake Hutchinson was lively towards the end of the game, and there were half hearted appeals for a penalty as he was challenged by Luke Chambers, but the referee waved them away.

That was the last of the goalmouth action of the night, and the U's could take some positives form the fact that they learned lessons from the first game and made the second more competitive.

Advertisement block