Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U's Held By Bantams

Both sides stay in touch of third place

21 January 2020

Colchester United have drawn 0-0 against fellow promotion hopefuls Bradford City

The U’s are now unbeaten in fourteen games heading into a crucial part of the season.

John McGreal's side had the better of the chances, forcing away ‘keeper Luke McGee into plenty of saves, but were unable to beat him and break the deadlock.

A valuable point for the U’s lifts them up one place and into the final play-off spot in seventh, moving above Cheltenham Town ahead of the game away at promotion chasing Exeter City.

In the first half, the U’s found it difficult to break down a stubborn away defence having only a couple of chances.

Harry Pell was looking to be the key man in the midfield as he was finding all the right passes forwards.

He demonstrated this when he picked out Callum Harriott with a lofted ball that set the U’s winger free down the left-hand side.

Harriott fired the ball across the face of goal, with Theo Robinson arriving just a tad too late, and unable to get the crucial touch to give the U’s the lead.

Ryan Clampin was next to try his luck as he curled an effort just wide of the far post. Harriott laid the ball off to him after recycling a corner but the Colchester full back was unable to find the corner and it flew out for a goal kick.

Nouble went close with an almost identical effort with five minutes of the half to go. This time Ryan Jackson picked out the U’s front man on the apex of the area, but his drilled shot fizzed just wide of McGee’s goal and out to safety.

Bradford did have the ball in the back of the net, and Eoin Doyle thought he had his first goal since returning from a successful loan spell at Swindon.

Gerken came to punch a cross but was challenged by the offside Kelvin Mellor, with the ball bouncing to Doyle to smash into the back of the net, only to look up and see he was offside.

The two teams went into the dressing room level, but with the U’s having the better chances of the first forty-five minutes.

There was a welcome return for Courtney Senior in the second half, who came on for his first game since getting injured in the warm-up against Exeter just before New Year.

Pell went close with a powerful drive from the edge of the area after Ryan Jackson cut the ball back to him. Luke McGee was again up to the task and pushed the shot away to safety.

Tom Eastman had a chance to put Colchester in front after Poku had crossed to him. Poku worked the space with step overs to beat his man before picking out Eastman at the far post who guided his header just beyond the upright.

The best chance of the game fell to skipper Luke Prosser, who blazed over from just six yards out.

Harriott’s whipped corner was flicked on by Pell at the near post before it fell to the unmarked Prosser. His volley went flying over the bar and into the South Stand behind.

Harry Pell would go close once again for the U’s with ten minutes left on the clock. Ryan Clampin did well to catch up to the ball before it went out of play and crossed to the penalty spot.

Harry Pell was there waiting but could only guide his volley just over the bar.

The U’s are now unbeaten in fourteen games, and with the high-flying sides of Exeter and Swindon on the horizon, it's all to play for.

Advertisement block