Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Run Extended To Fifteen Games

U's remain unbeaten after Exeter stalemate

25 January 2020

Colchester United have drawn 0-0 at second placed Exeter City

The U's picked up a valuable point on the road at the high flying Grecians to move up two places in the league to fifth.

A second goalless draw in a week for the U’s extends the unbeaten run to fifteen games, with the big test of the league leaders Swindon coming to town on Tuesday night.

The game had limited chances with the U's not taking the best of them when Callum Harriott had his effort blocked on the line by Sweeney.

Exeter had the better of the play in the second half but couldn’t get through an imperious defence that has now kept three clean sheets in the last five games.

The U’s made one change from the side that drew 0-0 with Bradford City at the JobServe Community Stadium as Luke Gambin came into the starting eleven for the injured Frank Nouble.

It could have been a goal each by the end of the first sixty seconds with either side not taking good chances to score.

Nicky Ajose shot from a tight angle towards the top corner of Gerken’s goal, but it just rippled the side netting as it flew past for a goal kick.

The U’s went right up the other end of the pitch and could have had a goal themselves. Jackson put a cross towards the back post with Harriott arriving just a second too late to head into the far corner.

Colchester went close again ten minutes into the game with a Harry Pell driven shot from outside the area. He picked up a loose ball and pressed forwards before pulling the trigger and forcing the home ‘keeper Maxted into a save.

Luke Prosser had shouts for a penalty waved away as he was challenged from a corner. The ball found its way to the U’s skipper at the back post who was tackled from behind as he shot but all claims were denied as play continued.

Callum Harriott had the best chance of the game in the thirty eighth minute as he saw his shot blocked on the line by Pierce Sweeney. Theo Robinson unselfishly crossed the ball over to the unmarked Harriott at the back post who shot straight at Sweeney on the line. The home defender was just in the right place at the right time with the ball hitting him square in the chest before clearing.

It was an even first half, with the U’s possibly just edging the better of the chances and play.

The U's came out for the second half and were instantly on the attack.

Luke Prosser got on the end of a free kick and controlled the ball before driving a cross into the area. Taylor was there to clear but scuffed it and the ball bounced just wide of the near post.

Theo Robinson attempted a shot five minutes later from a tight angle, but Johnny Maxted in the home goal was equal to his curling effort.

Exeter had the better of the play for much of the remainder of the second half.

Jayden Richardson went close for the Grecians after a neat through ball from Nicky Law. He ran in behind Ryan Clampin and shot across goal, luckily for the U’s, just wide of the far post much to the annoyance of Nicky Ajose who appeared to be in a better position.

Ryan Bowman volleyed a shot against Tom Eastman before the ball looped over the bar in another good opportunity for the home side.

Tom Parkes managed to get himself in a good position for the home side but couldn’t find the finish to give his side the lead. He got on the wrong side of Luke Prosser and skewed his volley high and wide over Dean Gerken in goal.

Nicky Law went close as the game drew to a close, but Tom Eastman was back and blocked a goal bound effort by sticking out a leg and nudging the ball behind for a corner.

Dean Gerken had the final say in the game when, again, Nicky Law shot towards goal from the resulting corner.

Gerken got across to his left to push the ball away as the official blew for full time, earning the U’s a valuable point on the road.

The U’s have another tough test coming up, with the league leaders Swindon Town coming to the JobServe Community Stadium on Tuesday night having moved two points ahead of Exeter after today’s games.

Advertisement block