Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Colchester United 2-1 Leyton Orient

Jevani Brown's brace moves U's into play-off places

14 November 2020

Steve Ball's side moved into the play-off places for the fist time this season with a 2-1 win against Leyton Orient at the JobServe Community Stadium.

The U's made two changes from the side that started their last league game, a 3-1 win against Stevenage almost two weeks ago. 

Ben Stevenson and Callum Harriott were left out of the squad, with Noah Chilvers and Michael Folivi coming in to replace them. 

The U's seemed content with Orient having the ball for the opening exchanges, with the visitors having the first shot on goal after six minutes. McAnuff's strike was collected by Gerken at the second attempt, without any real pressure from the O's attackers. 

But when Colchester United did break forwards they had themselves in front through Jevani Brown who netted his tenth of the season. Michael Folivi dinked a perfectly weighted through ball to Brown who had time to chest the ball down before sliding it out of reach of Vigouroux in goal. 

And the U's looked like they wanted another goal, with Senior and Folivi combining well. They worked the ball to find Bramall who fired a cross towards the Orient 'keeper who pushed the ball over the crossbar and out of danger. 

But Steve Ball's side had to be careful not to concede with the visitors pressing more and more to get themselves back level. Tommy Smith and Tom Eastman were both putting a shift in to keep their side ahead, with Smith blocking from Thomas' goal-bound effort and Eastman tackling McAnuff inside the area as the O's captain was about to pull the trigger. 

Their solid defensive work kept the U's ahead thanks to Jevani Brown's tenth minute strike. 

It was an exciting first fifteen minutes of the second half with the ball being played from end to end, and chances for both sides. 

Miles Welch-Hayes put in a fantastic stop up against Louis Dennis, who controlled the ball before trying to shoot beyond Gerken, but for the U's right back to be in his way and clear the ball. 

And Jevani Brown had two chances in quick succession to double his tally, but couldn't take either. Vigouroux made two top-drawer saves to deny the U's forward, initially when the front man was one-on-one, and then when Jevani had a shot powered towards the far side of the goal. 

But the O's 'keeper couldn't stop Brown getting on the score sheet again with twenty minutes to play. Brown was unmarked at the back post and powered the ball through the Vigourox to double his tally and the U's advantage. 

Second half substitute Sam Ling put the ball in the back of the net for the away side with two minutes to go, a goal that was given despite offside shouts from a number of the U's back line.

But Ball's side would hold on to make it four league home wins in a row, pushing themselves into a play-off place in the process. 

Next up for Colchester United is a trip to Mansfield on Friday night. The Stags are in good form under new boss Nigel Clough, winning their first three, including a 2-1 victory at Forest Green. 

Colchester United starting XI: Gerken, Welch-Hayes, Bramall, Smith, Senior (Cowan-Hall 89'), Pell, Brown (Norris 85'), Chilvers, Eastman, Poku, Folivi (Bohui 83').

Unused subs: George, Sowunmi, Clampin, Marshall Miranda. 

Leyton Orient starting XI: Vigouroux, Cisse, Happe, Coulson, McAnuff, Wilkinson, Thomas (Ling 78'), Brophy, Dennis, Akinola (Johnson 54'), Kyprianou (Maguire-Drew 68').

Unused subs: Sargeant, Widdowson, Dayton, Wright. 

Advertisement block