Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Colchester United 3-3 Oldham Athletic

U's pegged back by late McAleny equaliser

3 October 2020

Colchester United extended their unbeaten start to the season with a 3-3 draw against Oldham Athletic at the JobServe Community Stadium.

The U's lined up with the same starting eleven that picked up a point on the road last weekend at Barrow in the league.

Marley Marshall Miranda was brought onto the bench for Colchester United, replacing Sammie McLeod.

Colchester United starting XI: Gerken, Welch-Hayes, Bramall, Smith, Senior, Brown, Harriott, Chilvers, Eastman, Poku, Stevenson. 

Subs: George, Sowunmi, Norris, Cowan-Hall, Scarlett, Gambin, Marshall Miranda. 

Oldham Athletic starting XI: Lawlor, Jombati, Piergianni, Garrity, Blackwood, Whelan, Fage, McAleny, Radan (Borthwick-Jackson 17'), McCalmont, Hamer. 

Subs: Chapman, Borthwick-Jackson, Rowe, Keillor-Dunn, Grant, Barnett, Bahamboula.

It took time for both sides to find their feet in the game, not helped with the game being interrupted by the injury of Radan for the visitors. He was withdrawn after just quarter of an hour, and replaced with Borthwick-Jackson. 

But the U's kept pressing and created three chances in quick succession. 

Cohen Bramall saw his shot blocked after a quick break from Callum Harriott, before Miles Welch-Hayes bounced a shot over from the resulting corner. 

Poku was next to go close for the U's just a minute later when he was found in the area by Harriott. Poku's sidefoot effort slid past the post with Lawlor being let off. 

But just three minutes later and United were in front. A defence splitting pass from Harriott was sent to Stevenson, who kept his cool to dink the ball over Lawlor and put the U's ahead. 

And nine minutes later Harriott bagged a goal for himself. Bramall's shot was handballed in the area by McAleny with the referee pointing to the spot. Harriott stepped up and coolly rolled the ball into the corner, to double the lead. 

Jevanin Brown was next to try his luck for the home side, but was unable to beat the away 'keeper. He cut in from the right flank and curled an effort towards the far corner, with Lawlor collecting the ball. 

Five minutes after the break and Oldham had been given an opportunity to get back into the game when they were awarded a penalty. Bramall fouled second half sub Bahamboula with McAleny converting. 

And three minutes later the visitors were back on level terms. Piergianni benefitted from a McAleny flick on to tap the ball into the centre of the goal. 

But the U's were able to battle back and get their noses back in front. 

Miles Welch-Hayes stooped low after an hour was played and looped the ball into the top corner of the net to restore the lead for United. 

The U's had their lead back and looked to build. Cowan-Hall cut inside from the wing and went for the far corner, only to see his effort cleared off the line. 

But Oldham kept coming for another equaliser and thought they had it with eight minutes to play. Dean Gerken made a brilliant stop on the line with Barnett thinking he had scored. 

With less than a minute of the ninety to play though, the Latics did find their equaliser. McAleny netted his second of the game after a quick turn from cross. 

The U's pushed for a late winner but were unable to break through again, and would have to settle for a point. 

The two teams shared the points, with Oldham picking up their first of the season, but still dropping a place to twenty-second. Colchester United drop one place to ninth, with six points from four games. 

Next up for Colchester United is an away trip to Walsall next Saturday, where the U's will look to extend their unbeaten start to the season. 

Advertisement block