Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Forest Green Rovers 3-0 Colchester United

U's defeated at innocent New Lawn

27 February 2021

Wayne Brown's first game in charge of Colchester United during this interim spell ended in a 3-0 defeat to Forest Green Rovers.

A first half double from Jamille Matt got the hosts on their way before they stuttered just before the break being reduced to ten men with Ebou Adams sent off. 

But they were able to extend their lead in the second half thanks to a goal from Udoka Godwin-Malife. 

Wayne Brown named his first Colchester United eleven with two changes from the team that started in the defeat to Exeter City in the week. 

Junior Tchamadeu and Kwame Poku were given a starting berth by Brown, with Folivi and Stevenson both missing from the matchday eighteen. Marley Marshall Miranda was named on the bench for the U's. 

Dean Gerken was named in the starting eleven as he made his 200th appearance for Colchester United in all competitions. 

It was a cagey opening fifteen minutes in Nailsworth with both sides unable to keep create any real chances. Forest Green put the pressure on the back four of Colchester United without forcing any real chances. 

The first clear-cut chance in the game came seventeen minutes in when Jamille Matt got the better of Tommy Smith on the right flank, and drove a low cross into the area for the arriving Odin Bailey. But luckily for the U's Bailey struck wide from an unmarked position at the near post. 

The hosts had fired the ball into the side netting again with twenty-five played but this time it was Udoka Godwin-Malife with the effort. Dean Gerken did well to get his fists to the ball to punch away from a swerving free kick, with the Rovers man following up with a shot wide of the goal. 

But it was just moments later that Mark Cooper's side took the lead. Aaron Collins was able to find space on the right wing and deliver a cross to Matt who bundled the ball home under the challenge of Welch-Hayes. 

Just five minutes later Forest Green and Jamille Matt had two goals in the game. From a corner, Matt capitalised from a short clearance by the U's to slot the ball home in a crowded area. 

The U's were given a lifeline moments before the half time whistle blew when Ebou Adams was shown a straight red card after a studs up challenge on Josh Doherty on the half way line. 

Dean Gerken's 200th appearance for Colchester United ended prematurely, with the 'keeper going off injured at half-time, with Shamal George coming on in his place. 

Despite the U's taking the game to the hosts in the second half, it was Rovers who scored next, extending their lead. A curling free kick from Aaron Collins was crossed into the area with Udoka Godwin-Malife getting his head to the ball and guiding it beyond George into the far corner. 

It was the only goal of the half, as Colchester United were defeated at the innocent New Lawn. 

The U's now sit twenty-first in Sky Bet League Two. 

Forest Green Rovers starting XI: Thomas, Wilson, Bernard, Cargill, Adams, Collins (Hutchinson 90'), Cadden (Richardson 46'), Matt (Davison 79'), Bailey (Whitehouse 46'), Wagstaff, Godwin-Malife. 

Unused subs: McGee, Young, Hallett. 

Colchester United starting XI: Gerken (George 46'), Welch-Hayes, Doherty (Sayer 82'), Smith, Harriott, Chilvers, Eastman, Sarpong-Wiredu, Poku (Brown 75'), Tchamadeu (Senior 59'), Nouble (Oteh 75').

Unused subs: Sowunmi, Marshall Miranda.  

Advertisement block