Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report | Colchester United 1-1 Wealdstone

Late penalty pegs U's back in final friendly

31 July 2021

Noah Chilvers' early strike was cancelled out in the final minute from the penalty spot as the U's were held to a draw in their final pre-season friendly.

The U's had opened the scoring early in the first half through Noah Chilvers' well taken effort, and looked comfortable in the game. 

It was a final minute penalty conceded by Sam Cornish that mean the U's were pegged back to 1-1 in their final friendly ahead of the start of the Sky Bet League Two season. 

Hayden Mulllins' side made a fast start against their National League opponents, taking the lead in the game with just seven minutes played at the JobServe Community Stadium. 

Ryan Clampin's cross had too much on it for Frank Nouble to attack in the middle, with the ball arriving at the back post to Miles Welch-Hayes to recycle. Crossing back towards Noah Chilvers, the U's midfielder controlled the ball on his knee before firing in to the bottom corner beyond the visiting 'keeper. 

The game could have been levelled up almost instantly from the restart, with Wealdstone hitting the woodwork. Rhys Browne's effort stuck the near post of Triailst F's goal, with the home side able to clear. 

There were limited chances in a tight game for much of the first half, although the away side had a couple of efforts towards goal that needed to be blocked. Luke Chambers ensured that his side stayed in front with a block from Rhys Browne's effort that looked to be on target. 

But the U's were able to hold on to their advantage at the break, heading into the changing rooms with a 1-0 lead. 

At the start of the second half, the U's looked to add to their goal from the first half with Noah Chilvers striking from just outside the area, but unable to keep it down as it sailed over the bar. 

But again, Mullins' side had to be wary of the threat from the visitors. Dennon Lewis' driving run on the left wing saw him beat Welch-Hayes and Eastman before unleashing a shot that had to be pushed around the post by Trialist G and out for a corner. 

The U's were content in possession, but still trying to get a second goal in the game. With twenty minutes to go, there were a string of changes from the home bench, as Mullins and Dyer looked to keep things fresh with one eye on next weekend's league opener. 

Brendan Wiredu, brought on in the second half, went close for the U's striking the bar after Samson Tovide had won a corner for his side. Wiredu's looping effort was lofted over the 'keeper with Trialist E unable to tap in the follow up, although he was offside. 

The visitors were given the chance to level the scores seconds before the final whistle when Sam Cornish gave away a penalty, with Josh Umerah stepping up to take and score, meaning the U's final friendly ended in a draw. 

Next up for the U's, it's all eyes on the regular season, with the first league game at Carlisle next weekend. 

Colchester United starting XI: Trialist F, Welch-Hayes, Clampin, Chambers, Smith, Skuse, Nouble, Judge, Sears, Chilvers, Eastman. 

Subs: Wiredu, Coxe, Thomas, Tovide, Terry, Cornish, Beadle, Trialist A, Trialist E, Trialist G, Trialist H. 

Wealdstone starting XI: Trialist A, Cook, Lewis, Tavares, Eleftheriou, Okimo, Dyer, Buse, Umerah, Browne, Fasanmade. 

Subs: Hearn, Cawley, Wishart, Shrowder, Trialist B, Trialist C, Trilaist D.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account