Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Colchester United 1-0 Salford City

Second half winner from Josh Bohui secures Colchester United's Football League status

1 May 2021

Colchester United will play in the Football League next season following a 1-0 win at the JobServe Community Stadium courtesy of a second half winner from Josh Bohui.

After a goalless first half, second half substitute Josh Bohui came on to score the winner and his first goal for Colchester United as he helped to retain the U's Football League status at the expense of Essex rivals Southend United. 

Hayden Mullins named a side with two changes from last weekend’s match at Cheltenham with Harry Pell and Callum Harriott missing from the squad for personal reasons.

Coming into the starting lineup in their place were Ben Stevenson and Kwame Poku, with the latter making his first Colchester United appearance since returning from international duty with Ghana at the start of April.

There were also two changes to the bench, with Courtney Senior and Jevani Brown named as substitutes in place of Ben Stevenson who was starting, and Rem Oteh who was missing from the matchday eighteen.

The visitors were applying the pressure from the first minute on the Colchester United team, aiming to give the home side no time on the ball to get it under control.

It was evident why the visitors were in the position they were in the table, with Ibou Touray’s long throw ins proving a threat from the wings for Colchester United, although it was Hayden Mullins’ side that were able to get the first effort on goal.

After some good work from Kwame Poku to win a corner, the ball was lofted towards Tom Eastman, with the centre-half seeing his header bounce just wide of Hladky’s goal.

Chances became limited in the next twenty minutes of the game, with both sides unable to work an opportunity, until Frank Nouble’s effort in the twenty-fifth minute.

Racing free down the left flank, Nouble was unable to beat Hladky as the Czech ‘keeper was able to collect and hold the ball low down, inside the penalty area.

Salford City were forced to play with ten men from the thirty minute mark after Di’Shon Bernard was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Noah Chilvers. Having been booked ten minutes earlier, the Manchester United loanee was given his marching orders by the referee.

With no further chances until the break, the two sides headed to the changing rooms level.

It was a slow start to the second half, with the U's controlling possession and looking to wear down their opponents. 

But a quick movement from the U's front line earned a shooting opportunnity with Josh Bohui burying the finish. Bohui latched on to the through ball and blasted the ball home beyond Hladky with confidence.

The U's looked to change things around for the final twenty minutes, with Wiredu withdrawn shortly after picking up a yellow card, with Tom Lapslie coming on for the closing stages. 

Salford City had a penalty shout waved away with ten minutes remainng, as Robbie Gotts fell in the penalty area running alongside Ryan Clampin, as the referee was uninterested to the appeals from the away bench. 

There was to be another man sent off for the visitors when Ash Hunter's breif substitute appearance was cut short. Following a push on Hayden Mullins to retrieve the ball, he was sent off for dissent. 

Colchester United's win at home to Salford City ensured their Football League status, as Southend United are relegated from League Two. 

Colcheter United starting XI: George, Welch-Hayes, Smith, Chilvers (Bohui 61'), Eastman, Clampin, Wiredu (Lapslie 72'), Poku, Stevenson, Folivi, Nouble.

Unused Subs: Gerken, Lapslie, Sowunmi, Senior, Brown, Tchamadeu.

Salford City starting XI: Hladky, Touray, Lowe, Eastham, Bernard, Turnbull, Threlkeld, Gotts (Hunter 86'), Coutts (Boyd 57'), Asante (Clarke 57'), Henderson.

Unused Subs: Evans, Burgess, Deseruvwe, Loughlan.

Advertisement block