Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report | Colchester United 3-1 Exeter City

Goals from Jasper, Chilvers and Sears earn the U's three points at home

23 November 2021

Colchester United put an end to Exeter's fifteen-game unbeaten run to an end with a 3-1 victory at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Colchester United held a deserved two-goal advantage at half time thanks to goals from Sylvester Jasper and Noah Chilvers. 

Exeter City came back at Hayden Mullins' side, and got a goal midway through the second half, but Freddie Sears ensured that the three points would remain in Essex as the U's ran out 3-1 winners against the Grecians. 

The U's made three changes to their starting line up from Saturday's defeat to Stevenage. 

Shamal George was missing through injury, with Nouble and Eastman both sitting on the subs bench. Coming into their starting places were Jake Turner, Tommy Smith and Luke Hannant. 

Colchester United made a nervy start to the game, but the visitors were unable to capitalise in the opening period of the game. 

Matt Jay and Sam Nombe both had efforts on goal, but on both occasions were in an offside position, and failed to test Turner who was making his full league debut for the U's. 

The U's hit Exeter City on the counter attack just after the ten minute mark, getting the opening goal with their first effort on target. 

Luke Hannant provided the assist for the U's, playing a square ball to Sylvester Jasper who controlled and hit the ball on the turn, in off the inside of Dawson's post to make it 1-0 to Colchester United. 

The U's had to hold their nerve at the back, but the duo of Smith and Chambers in the centre of defence were able to shepherd the back line into keeping one of the highest scoring teams in the division at bay for the first forty-five minutes. 

Their good work was rewarded just before half time, when Noah Chilvers doubled the lead for the U's, getting his third goal of the season. 

Cameron Coxe, who came on for the injured Junior Tchamadeu, chipped the ball to the far post, with Chilvers arriving at just the right time to volley the ball beyond Dawson and make it 2-0 just before half time. 

The U's had to survive an onslaught from the visitors after the break, somthing which the back four were doing well until the final twenty minutes of the game. 

Second half sub for Exeter City capitalised from a goal mouth scramble in front of Jake Turner to smash the ball home and give Matt Taylor's side hope of keeping their unbeaten record intact. 

But just five minutes later the U's had restored their two-goal advantage when Freddie Sears added a third for Hayden Mullins' side in front of the South Stand. 

Latching on to a clever through ball from Dobra, Sears drove towards goal, then lifting the ball over the onrushing Dawson to send the U's fans into raptures as the score became 3-1 to the home side. 

The full time whistle blew to celebrations from U's fans all around the stadium, with the three points meaning Colchester United move up to nineteenth with twenty points from seventeen games. 

Up next is a game on Friday night at the JobServe Community Stadium, when ninth-place Newport make their way to North Essex in Sky Bet League Two. 

Colchester United starting XI: Turner, Chambers, Smith, Hannant (Eastman 70'), Skuse, Sears (McCoulsky 86'), Chilvers, Jasper, Dobra, Tchamadeu (Coxe 35'), Daniels.

Unused subs: Gerken, Nouble, Judge, Cooper. 

Exeter City starting XI: Dawson, Caprice, Ray (Amond 54'), Jay (Coley 81'), Collins, Nombe, Key, Dieng, Brown (Edwards 83'), Sweeney, Hartridge. 

Unused subs: Brown, Daniel, Grounds, Kite. 

Advertisement block