Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U23s Hold Fulham To A Point

Goalless draw at JobServe Community Stadium in Premier League Cup

16 November 2021

Colchester United held group leaders Fulham to a goalless draw at the JobServe Community Stadium in the Premier League Cup.

Dave Huzzey's side had to endure the pressure from a stylish Fulham side, with the Premier League 2 side doing much of the attacking in the first half. 

But the U's headed to the changing rooms at half time level with their opponents, with Ted Collins making a couple of top-drawer saves in goal. 

His first save came after fifteen minutes, when a clever reverse ball found Tiehi on the edge of the box. But good pressure from Martins as well as the feet of Collins prevented the low effort from finding the net. 

Five minutes before the break, the U's 'keeper was called into action again, this time with Hilton taking aim. His low drive was pushed around the post by the fingertips of Collins, keeping Fulham out for the first half. 

Colchester United had a couple of half chances to take the lead in the game, with the best coming on the counter attack from Fulham's aforementioned corner. Bryan Ifeanyi spotted Chay Cooper in space on the left wing, with the youngster cutting inside before dragging his effort just wide of Ramirez's post. 

After the break, Collins had to be alert yet again although the U's 'keeper was saved by his left back from Fulham's first chance of the half. The ball was cut back from Tiehi with Martins putting in a last ditch tackle to deny a shooting chance for the visitors. 

And when Fulham did create a shooting chance, Collins was there to keep the scores level. Tiehi again cut the ball back to Bowie, with the latter seeing his shot blocked away by the feet of the U's shot-stopper. 

The London-side rattled the bar with a powerful effort from Dibley Dias, but were still struggling to find a breakthrough on the hour. 

Fulham struck the woodwork again a few minutes later, with Hilton the man taking the shot. His low effort bounced off the outside of the foot of the upright and out of danger. 

But with twenty minutes to go, the U's started to press forward, with Stagg having a couple of good efforts on the Fulham goal. 

His first was created by a good run from Al-Amin Kazeem, driving down the left wing and cutting the ball back to Stagg who was unable to make a clean contact on the ball and divert into the net. Stagg's second effort was deflected, with his left foot effort flying just over the bar from outside the area. 

Marley Miranda had a good chance to steal all three points for the U's at the death, with a curling effort towards the back post, but his effort was just off target. 

The point means the U's stay second in the group, just behind Fulham who remain top in the Premier League Cup. 

Colchester United starting XI: Collins, Kazeem, Martins, Cornish, Cracknell, Beadle, Ifeanyi, Miranda, McCoulsky, Thomas, Cooper. 

Subs: Johnson, Stagg, Terry, Lowe, Trialist. 

Fulham starting XI: Ramirez, Larkeche, Odutayo, Hilton, Pajaziti, Bowie, Lanquedoc, Robinson, Williams, Tiehi, Dibley Dias. 

Subs: McNally, McCoy Splatt, Tanton, Wildbore, Sanderson. 

Advertisement block