Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report | Port Vale 3-0 Colchester United

U's well beaten at Vale Park

23 October 2021

Colchester United were well beaten at Vale Park by a good Port Vale side.

Colchester United fell to a 3-0 defeat at Port Vale with two goals coming in the first half from Gibbons and Wilson, with Martin adding a third from the bench in the second half for the hosts. 

Hayden Mullins named a line up with two changes from the side that drew 1-1 with Bristol Rovers in the week, with oneo of those enforced with the suspension of Junior Tchamadeu, as Tommy Smith returned to the side. 

The other change saw Noah Chilvers swapped in for Sylvester Jasper, after netting the late equaliser at the JobServe Community Stadium. Miles Welch-Hayes returned to the bench after recovering from an injury in the only other alteration to the matchday eighteen. 

Colchester United found themselves behind early on in the game at Port Vale, with the hosts taking the lead in the fifth minute. 

James Gibbons got Darrell Clarke's side on their way with a well placed finish beyond Shamal George. The lofted ball over the top from Conlon was weighted well for the full back to control and shoot quickly, making it 1-0 early on. 

It quickly became 2-0, and an uphill struggle for Hayden Mullins' men when former Manchester United forward James Wilson netted with quarter of an hour gone. 

The Port Vale number nine produced a sharp turn before his deflected left-footed effort bobbled over the line at the far post, with U's 'keeper Shamal George given no chance. 

Colchester United pressed forward to try and get back into the game, and had two good chances before the break, falling to Freddie Sears and Brendan Wiredu. 

Sears and Nouble went on the break for the U's first chance of the game, with Freddie getting the better of Cass at the back for the home side. But he was unable to find a way through Covolan in goal for the hosts with the 'keeper collecting the follow up cross from the left. 

Brendan Wiredu had the best chance of the game so far for Hayden Mullins' side five minutes before half time. Charlie Daniels delivered the ball to the centre of the six-yard area with Wireud unable to hit the target from an unmarked position. 

Colchester United were unable to make any headway into the early 2-0 advantage for the hosts before the break and trailed as they headed to the changing rooms. 

The U's opted for one change at half time, with Tom Eastman replaced by Miles Welch-Hayes, as Luke Chambers shifted back across to play in the centre of defence for the second half. 

In the opening ten minutes of the second half, the U's had a further two chances to get back in the game with Chilvers and Hannant, but both shots were fired over the bar with Covolan unworried in the home goal. 

But it was the home side that extended their lead with the next goal of the game, as second half substitute Aaron Martin netted within five minutes of coming on. 

He got a touch on the ball at the near post from a corner, looping his effort over George and into the far corner, giving Vale a three-goal advantage with half an hour to play. 

But the U's could find little else in the tank to fight back with, as Vale went close twice more through Rodney and Amoo before the full time whistle finally blew. 

The defeat leaves Colchester United in nineteenth with fourteen points. Next up for Hayden Mullins' side is the game in hand on the rest of the league against Sutton United at home on Tuesday evening. 

Port Vale starting XI: Covolan, Gibbons, Jones, Smith, Worrall (Martin 58'), Wilson, Conlon, Rodney (Amoo 70'), Politic (Taylor 65'), Pett, Cass.

Unused subs: Walker, Benning, Lloyd, Stone. 

Colchester United starting XI: George, Chambers, Smith, Wiredu, Hannant, Skuse (Kennedy 80'), Nouble, Sears (Tovide 68'), Chilvers, Eastman (Welch-Hayes 46'), Daniels. 

Unused subs: Turner, Jasper, Dobra, Coxe. 

Advertisement block