Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Colchester United 0-2 Salford City | Match Report

U's defeated by Ammies at home

2 October 2021

Sponsored by

Colchester United fell to a 2-0 defeat at home to Salford City, after goals from Thomas-Asante and Elliott in the first half.

Colchester United found themselves two goals down in the first twenty-five minutes after a strong start from the visitors, and struggled to get themselves back in the game. 

Half chances fell to Smith and Sears in the second half, but the U's were unable to capitalise as the Ammies took all three points back to Greater Manchester. 

Making two changes from the side that started the last league game, the goalless draw at Swindon Town a week ago, Hayden Mullins brought Armando Dobra and Noah Chilvers into the starting lineup. Brendan Wiredu and Luke Hannant were both dropped to the bench in their places. 

The U's were having to chase the game from early on in the first half, after Thomas-Asante capitalised on a spilled ball from Shamal George. The warning signs were there, when Jason Lowe's header struck the bar in under two minutes, before Thomas-Asante tapped the ball into the unguarded net in the ninth minute. 

The visitors kept pressing after their opener and soon found the back of the net again, this time with Tom Elliott on target. Losing his marker in the penalty area, Elliott had a free header on the six-yard line to power beyond George and make it 2-0 to Salford City. 

Hayden Mullins' side were struggling to work their way into the game, but did force a good save out of Salford 'keeper Tom King. Alan Judge's free kick was fired over the wall to the goalkeeper's left, with King getting across to palm the ball away. 

But with the rain pouring down at the JobServe Community Stadium, the half time whistle blew with Colchester United trailing the visitors 2-0. 

Shortly after half time, the U's boss made two changes, with Dobra and Coxe replaced by Eastman and Wiredu.

For the first twenty minutes of the second period, the U's were pressing to get back in the game, aiming at Tom King's goal. 

The visitors' defence was almost breached when Tommy Smith got his head to the ball from an Alan Judge corner, but his goal-bound effort was blocked by Freddie Sears on the line. Noah Chilvers took aim with the rebound, firing the ball wide, pumping a little more life into the sodden U's fans. 

But the U's struggled to test King any more in the game, as the contest petered out in the last ten minutes. 

Salford City were reduced to ten men when the scorer of the first goal, Brandon Thomas-Asante was sent off with a second yellow card, but with three minutes of the game to play, it did little to affect the play. 

Colchester United fall to eighteenth position with ten points from nine games, with next week's oponents winning 2-1 at home to Crawley Town, sitting in ninth place. 

Colchester United starting XI: George, Chambers, Smith, Skuse, Nouble, Judge, Sears, Chilvers (Jasper 80'), Dobra (Eastman 52'), Daniels, Coxe (Wiredu 52').

Unused subs: Turner, Clampin, Hannant, Tovide. 

Salford City starting XI: King, Shephard, Lowe, Eastham, Ndaba, Turnbull, Lund (Willock 90'), Hunter (Love 76'), Morris (Wright 76'), Elliott, Thomas-Asante. 

Unused subs: Jeacock, Smith, Nmai, Oteh. 

Advertisement block